Help!- Boot.ini file for Media Center Edition 2005

aoc153

Can someone who has Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PLEASE copy and paste the text in their boot.ini file?? You can access by rightclicking on my computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery (settings), and then click edit. Again, please only paste it if you have Media Center 2005 only, with no other OS's. Thanks!!

This isn't it, but it still works...You might have to change the partitions a little.

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition 2005" /fastdetect

Ok Heres mine:

[boot loader]

timeout=3

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\$WINDOWS.~BT\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

When I boot up it gives me two options:

"Windows Xp (Default)" and

"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005"

The XP (Default) Gives me an error so I always have to go up and select Media Center Edition.

Notice how mine has the "/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN/" and yours doesnt. Do you think If I delete that part it might automatically boot to media center edition? Also, If for some reason It doesnt like the boot.ini file afterwards, will it do that boot in safe mode or last successful boot thing?

Thanks!

When I boot up it gives me two options...
That's because your

does not match the single operating system entry two lines down. Change that line to

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

You should then only have the "Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005" option at startup.

The /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN is [at least with XP Home] Service Pack 2's new DEP (Data Execution Prevention). OPTIN means DEP is on only for "essential Windows programs and services". This switch should be left the way it is.

Edit...

Also, If for some reason It doesnt like the boot.ini file afterwards, will it do that boot in safe mode or last successful boot thing?

If there's something with the boot.ini it doesn't like (pointing to the wrong partition or something of the sort), it just won't boot. In that case, you can (assuming media PCs have floppy drives) use BootItNG from Terrabyte Unlimited to edit the boot.ini from DOS.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352/

If the /noexecute=policy_level setting is not present in the Boot.ini file for a version of Windows that supports DEP, the behavior is the same as if the /noexecute=OptIn setting was included.

If you don't know how to edit or repair the boot.ini, you can logon to the Recovery Console and use the bootcfg /rebuild command. It will detect all the Windows installations and add valid entries for you.

maybe help you , maybe some other people

i need once , and i found this somewhere in the net . sorry for the author , i save the article then and not the link.

Appendix A: Partition System Types

Each partition and logical drive has a system type which is recorded in the partition table. The system type tells the PC what the partition is used for, that is, what type of filesystem it has. DOS/Windows and Windows NT use the system type at boot time to determine which partitions / drives they can read. Linux ignores the system type; partitions and drives are explicitly mounted.

The system types relevant to this article are:

6: DOS FAT and Windows 95 VFAT

7: Windows NT NTFS and OS/2 HPFS

a: OS/2 Boot Manager

82, 83: Linux (82 for swap, 83 for filesystem)

A system type of zero means the partition is unused.

Appendix B: Example BOOT.INI File

BOOT.INI tells the Windows NT Loader which options to present to the user. The BOOT.INI file I use for Windows NT / 2000 dual boot is included below as an example.

[boot loader]timeout=5

; default=signature(9e428d39)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(9)\WINNT

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT" /sos

signature(9e428d39)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(9)\WINNT="Windows 2000" /sos /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows NT [VGA mode]" /basevideo /sos

signature(9e428d39)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(9)\WINNT="Windows 2000 [VGA mode]" /sos /fastdetect /basevideo

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="RECOVERY: Partition 1" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="RECOVERY: Partition 2" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINNT="RECOVERY: Partition 3" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINNT="RECOVERY: Partition 4" /sos

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(5)\WINNT="RECOVERY: Partition 5" /sos

The [boot loader] section defines the timeout (in seconds) before the default operating system loads. The # is a comment; the commented-out line is what I would use to make Windows NT the default operating system instead of Windows 95.

The [operating systems] section defines the choice of operating systems which the NT Loader can boot. Each line specifies an operating system to load, using what is called "ARC notation". For IDE disks this looks like the following:

multi(m)disk(0)rdisk(n)partition(p)\directory=menutext

where

m is the number of the IDE channel (the first channel is number 0)

n is the disk number on that channel (the first disk is number 0)

p is the partition number on that disk (the first partition is number 1)

directory is the top-level directory of the operating system

menutext is the description which appears in the NT Loader menu.

For SCSI disks, the notation is slightly different. For Windows 2000, a new notation has been introduced. Information on these is available from the Microsoft Knowledge Base website.

For Windows 95/NT dual boot, the Windows 95 entry just looks like this:

C:\="Windows 95"

The RECOVERY lines are there in case I restructure my disk and forget to alter BOOT.INI beforehand.

• 2 months later...
Ok Heres mine:

[boot loader]

timeout=3

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

When I boot up it gives me two options:

"Windows Xp (Default)" and

"Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005"

The XP (Default) Gives me an error so I always have to go up and select Media Center Edition.

Notice how mine has the "/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN/" and yours doesnt. Do you think If I delete that part it might automatically boot to media center edition? Also, If for some reason It doesnt like the boot.ini file afterwards, will it do that boot in safe mode or last successful boot thing?

Thanks!

Here is mine (Example is in bold)

[boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows XP Pro" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noguiboot

Dumb question, Have you tried to set your default section up as default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

instead to boot to MCE? and is MCE actually on your primary drive in the second partition?