IBM OEM Windows

oliska

I've got an IBM laptop with preinstalled Windows. If I try to install Windows (which are not preinstalled) and use the provided licence number - it does not work. I read somewhere, that it is caused of OEM installation - the number does not work with the other installation. Is that possible to enable OEM installation in winnt.sif and to be able to use my licence number? Or is there any other solution?

Thanks

OEM and retail use different numbers. So if you are installing from an OEM CD, use the OEM number. If you are installing from a retail CD, use the number that came with the retail CD.

It sounds like you are tring to install from a retail CD because you don't have an OEM CD. Is that right? If so, just use the key that came with your retail CD.

it doesn't matter what serial u using as long as it is the right one for the xpcd u using.

i say that if u use a oem windows u have to use an oem serial. and so one.

another problem can be that companies who builds laptops are creating special windows cd.

ps u can not create your own oem....

You do not want to mess with your preload too much it is bios locked to machine to do the hardware signature . If you install OEM hardware changes may cuase it to deactivate. The preload will allow most normal harware changes without issue.

You can call IBM and reguest a set of Recovery CD's they will restore the recovery partition where your XP source is stored.

SkunkWerkz "Thinkpad GURU"

I bought this laptop secondhand (or thirdhand...) and there was not the oem xps. Just formatted hdd. So if it was locked to bios - it is not anymore...

The other thing is - if I called there and get the CD's, I wouldn't use it anyway, because I want to make my OWN installation and I don't want any partition as I don't have any free space on HDD.

So, I replace in setupp.ini the pid from 55703270 to 55703OEM. But. I am not sure, for which SP was my licence number made - I would expect for SP0. And now, I am not sure - if the PID must be for SP2 (which is the installation) or for the Licence Number....

:(:unsure:

Well if you are going to install it YOUR way with OEM media not MS Select plug in and setup/upgrade all the hardware during the install. Since you will be stuck with that hardware finger print. Do all BIOS and Embedded controller and Intel inf updates from IBM site during your primary install.

This was not a guess I suport 500+ of these things T23,T30,T40,T41,T42 and T43's.

But if you want to do it the hard way :)

PS: I have Walnut Plaque from IBM that sayes I'm a Factory Certified Thinkpad GURU!!!!!!!!

skunkwerkz:

Hi, I dunno what are you talking about - I haven't got any problems with hardware. Currently working on my Thinkpad T41p with WXP SP2 CORPORATE (not OEM) and with drivers from the internet. Haven't got any problem. (Anyway, my laptop does not have a fingerprint thing). My only problem is the installation.

Thanks, GURU.

aspenjim:

Thanks, sent a message.