IBM OEM Windows

oliska

Skunk....

I concede, you're the true guru. I gotta question for you. I've got an X31 and since I upgraded the next to last bios and embedded controller, and if I unplug and replug the AC adapter, it never knows its on AC until I reboot. I've upgraded and downgraded the bios and embedded controller with the same results. It didn't have this problem until I did a bios upgrade. It looks to me as if battery charging has a problem, because the last 2 bios upgrades has to do with battery charging. Having said all of that, it does charge even when it thinks its running on batteries. I know this isn't a windows problem, because when I try to upgrade the bios "diskless", i always get a message that the AC must be plugged in. The only way I can upgrade (and downgrade) the bios is using the unattended switches. I use this several hours a day, so I don't want to part with it for a RMA. It's under warranty, and the IBM folks thinks its the systemboard. It is a 2672XXY. What do you think the problem it. You can got to the downloads for this model and see that it has a couple of bios upgrades concerning charging the battery.

Thx,

Jim

MS Select/Corporate does not care about hardware changes it since does not use WPA.

OEM is same as Retail it creates a signature of your hardware during install for Windows Product Activation. This will cause WinXP and OffXP/2003 to DEACTIVATE, if it senses a major hardware change, EX: Most depot repairs result in a System board change. Could be same result with a BIOS/Embedded Controller update "Usually required together.

On a t41 that is 80-90 % of the hardware, or if you wanted to troubleshoot a problem and try the "OEM your way / Retail" build in another t41 you would get the same result.

Basically You will NOT be able to install OEM and be able to make changes as above without issue as IBM is able too.

Order the set for your PC find part# here: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...=MIGR-53121#eus

You need to call support with a Drive Fitness Test error so CD can be ordered with replacement drive.

Or if you have your platform for Corp set just use Rapid Recovery to image it and restore that image on similar machines and then change the SID.

Aspenjim,

:hello: Sounds like a DC to DC controller may or maynot be on systemboard, the electonic switch is not sensing mode switch. My guess bios was coincedence.

I assume you have emilnated BATTERY, AC Adapter ect?

2 choices

1) Find IBM reseller that does warranty work in your area and will work on Mobiles/ThinkPads, have them diagnose order part and let you bring back for

3-4 hour window when recvd to replace part and hand back to you.

2) Send thru EZ Serv while on vacation it is in Memphis TN where I am so my

turn around is on 1-2 day when I deliver to solectron.

For speed issue disable all Power MGT in bios and OS, of all else fails disable ACPI

Skunk