Maximus Decim Data Access Component Update

I'm kinda dumb about some things, would MDAC be used in networking? as I plan to network mine & wifes puters for file & print sharing using netbui protocol. Each puter has own telephone line as I can only get dial-up[to far out in country] TFAI :)

Gosh, I hope I'll be able to use it! I posted about what happens when I try to apply the MDAC myself. Windows is fubarred!

Whatever the thing does (which I never understood, makes some stuff work better?) I'd of course like to be running the latest updated version.

I'm afraid, I'm very afraid!

Ha, Ha. Please test this thing in conjunction with the Service Pack and 98SE2ME if you can. It wouldn't hurt if you had either OfficeXP or Word2002 or (what I have) WorksSuite 2005 as well. I think that thing installs some of these files.

Oh, and I usually have DotNet 1.1 with the latest dotnet service pack and Windows Update security update for it installed as well (so the DirectX 9.0c Managed directx update installs). The Managed DirectX makes audio/video access hardware better! I don't know if DotNet effects these MDAC things or not.

Sometimes not allowing ZoneAlarm to run at startup after installing this stuff makes them register properly without recking Windows. It's just that I never really know when to deactivate it! I've gotta disable my ethernet first, then tell ZoneAlarm not to run at startup. Otherwise, some of the changes these files make confuse ZoneAlarm's processes and then ZoneAlarm destroys the registry! Unrecoverable with scanreg. (Well, it recovers, but still doesn't let Windows run.) Gotta format.

I'm kinda dumb about some things, would MDAC be used in networking? as I plan to network mine & wifes puters for file & print sharing using netbui protocol. Each puter has own telephone line as I can only get dial-up[to far out in country] TFAI :)

MDAC is not only used in networking in transferring/receiving certain files, but also used in the Microsoft Access program in creating/editing MS Access database files, which I have with Office 2000 Pro.

BTW - MDAC 2.8 SP1 is out. Has msxml3.dll file dated 2/18/2005. Viewed its properties and says XML 3.0 SP7. Get MDAC 2.8 SP1 here:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/a...ff/MDAC_TYP.EXE

personally, I'd install MDAC 2.5 SP3 first, then install MDAC 2.8 and then install Office 2k but I totally disable Zonealarm (or any other firewall sw) and the antivirus software. after I install the MDAC, Office 2k and 98se SP, then I'd re-enable the firewall & antivirus software. Also, use Zonealarm version 4 or higher.

and if you still have troubles with MDAC & zonealarm Eck, i'd uninstall the zonealarm software first. then install MDAC and then re-install Zonealarm.

i think there's some software conflict with zonealarm & MDAC, that's why I suggest removing or disabling zonealarm before installing MDAC.

Wow, I lost track of this thread in my travels.

erpdude8,

I actually make it through the MDAC installs fine, then if I update with the 98SE Service pack and 982ME I can no longer boot into Windows as ZoneAlarm fubarred the registry.

If per chance we get a pack from Maximus-decim, I'll try it and disable the Ethernet and ZoneAlarm while doing the other updates.

In fact, I no longer just turn ZoneAlarm off for the Service Pack and 98SE2ME. I now disable the Ethernet and ZoneAlarm at startup before running those updates.

Perhaps I'll be alright by doing that for the MDAC stuff.

I was essentially doing it by your order, as well.

Don't like that Windows being destroyed stuff!

I actually make it through the MDAC installs fine, then if I update with the 98SE Service pack and 982ME I can no longer boot into Windows as ZoneAlarm fubarred the registry.

If per chance we get a pack from Maximus-decim, I'll try it and disable the Ethernet and ZoneAlarm while doing the other updates.

In fact, I no longer just turn ZoneAlarm off for the Service Pack and 98SE2ME.  I now disable the Ethernet and ZoneAlarm at startup before running those updates.

I strongly recommend to close all opens programs/TSRs/processes/residents/DLLs etc before installing 98SE2ME. This is stated in the "EXTREMELY IMPORTANT" section of the readme:

http://www.mdgx.com/9s2m/READ1ST.TXT

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Yes, I do that. I just mentioned that not only will I turn them off, I'll also not let them run at startup. That's what I've been doing lately and it's been going smooth!

I just replied to someone asking whether they should use msconfig for this and I replied that I'd rather leave that alone and just disable them running at startup by the individual program's properties. I'd rather not mess with msconfig as I think that's one of the programs updated. I then just close out the other stuff from the Close Program box.

Did I advise well? I've found most folks advise just using msconfig for troubleshooting, and not for preventing installed programs from starting up permanently. In fact, some programs will add themselves back in and mess up things with double entries. I'd rather find the options within the program's.

Of course, if someone had stuff in autoexec.bat and config.sys, that I can see REMing out temporarily.

Thanks.

Yes, I do that.  I just  mentioned that not only will I turn them off, I'll also not let them run at startup.  That's what I've been doing lately and it's been going smooth!

I just replied to someone asking whether they should use msconfig for this and I replied that I'd rather leave that alone and just disable them running at startup by the individual program's properties.  I'd rather not mess with msconfig as I think that's one of the programs updated.  I then just close out the other stuff from the Close Program box.

Did I advise well?  I've found most folks advise just using msconfig for troubleshooting, and not for preventing installed programs from starting up permanently.  In fact, some programs will add themselves back in and mess up things with double entries.  I'd rather find the options within the program's.

Of course, if someone had stuff in autoexec.bat and config.sys, that I can see REMing out temporarily.

You're right.

It's always better to disable/inactivate/etc the program/TSR/process/etc from its own function, *if* it has one, but unfortunately not all do have such feature.

I usually recommend using Mike Lin's Startup CPL for this job [freeware]:

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

I've got more similar tools here [all free(ware)] = please scroll down the list:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#ENH

But one can also use msconfig.exe [already installed by Windows 98/ME, and don't need to pay anything to get it], no matter if it is updated/replaced by 98se2me, because msconfig doesn't remain resident in memory, it exits after it does its job.

Msconfig only modifies the registry values [same as Startup CPL] or startup files [autoexec.bat, config.sys, system.ini, win.ini].

Disabling a program/TSR/process from starting every time with Windows, seems a little extreme, *unless* a particular program takes up too many resources, CPU cycles, and/or tries to send UDP packets to its "mothership" server [i'm talking about spyware here], or if you don't really need its services by having it loaded in memory all the time [like a firewall or anti-virus tool, which must be resident in order to operate].

Things u don/t need in memory and are most annoying on most PCs I've seen:

- RealOne/RealPlayer tray icon

- Apple QuickTime tray icon

- AOL tray icon

See this huge lists of such annoying adware/spyware/resource hogs [under the "FYI:" section]:

http://www.mdgx.com/newtip2.htm#ANNOY

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up. Thankfully I have established good habits when installing programs to make sure stuff like that isn't given carte blanch by me. I then peruse the program's preferences so it is setup for my conveniance and not marketers!

Yeah, Quicktime and RealPlayer need a lot of work in that vein to ensure that I'm using them and not the other way around.

But, I'm pretty much free of sneaky stuff like that. Keep Spybot updated as well.

I've got a cousin who likes as much infestation on her computer as possible. Her desktop doesn't have room for any more icons (which probably concerns her). Her system tray doesn't leave room for open programs on the task bar. Her favorite games are ones that stay on all the time in the background reporting her every move on the computer to all kinds of places. She hates the way she had all sorts of problems when she let darned Microsoft install that pesky Service Pack 2. (She needed to reinstall her favorite spyware!) She pays McAfee for SpamBlocker, yet mainly uses Yahoo and Outlook Express for the thousands of emails she receives daily and loves to save forever. She claims not to be able to afford a VirusScanner. She won't install a free one since she already has McAfee there and might as well wait until she's ready to buy their's. She won't let anyone get rid of her crap.

Um, when she calls with a problem I usually say that I have no idea what might have caused it. I tell her to see if someone else can help. (Sorry, everybody else.)

I would be concerned with her posting here for help, but I think she would much prefer one of those terrific "Windows Optimizers and Fixers!" that keep popping up on her screen and will never leave unless she downloads them.

He, he! But ya know, she never tried AOL. How could she possibly have missed that?

• 3 years later...
MDAC is not only used in networking in transferring/receiving certain files, but also used in the Microsoft Access program in creating/editing MS Access database files, which I have with Office 2000 Pro.

Does "Networking" refer to a LAN, or the Internet. In 98SE I am using NetBUEI and am trying to use it as much in XP, which destroys NetBUEI if using from the backup HDD.

If you have removed Outlook Express and IE via 98Lite (or XPLite if you are using XP) and do not run Microsoft Office, Access, or use an SQL database, will anything on your computer not work if you do not have MDAC?