Quick Launch

The quicklaunch bar is now enabled, but the additional icons I put in there did not show up. Dang it.
Of course the additional icons would not show up!
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Thats the path where your quick-launch icons are stored - as files, not as registry items.

Since you're using XP, put in the quicklaunch icons in this path on the CD (create necessary folders):

$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Or better yet, make a winrar SFX (exe) which will extract silently (execute it during cmdlines) to this path:

%appdata%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

And btw, druiddk is right.

itsme_4ucz was trying to run the cmdlines command via runonceEX - which is impossible.

Why? Because cmdlines runs at T-12 (12 mins left to complete setup), & runonceex will run at first-boot (only AFTER setup is fully completed). So logically, itsme_4ucz is trying to get into the future & carry out tasks supposed to be run in the past!

In any case, runonceEX.cmd also is meant to be applied by cmdlines itself. Because runonceex, is basically a method to import tasks & keep it dormant in registry till the next boot.

I seem to have the q/l bar for all users, but I run this tweak from cmdlines.txt, so I guess that's why all users have it.
I run it from cmdlines too.

Thanks, you convinced me that it auto-configures usernames!

Ok, after a solid 4 hours of reading in this forum and 6 installs of XPSP2 unattended on a virtual machine I got the quick launch to work.

Rik

And after all that you repeated EXACTLY what I posted here

Quicklaunch Tutorial:, working everytime for 2 years

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51753

AND I even show you where to copy the extra icons as mentioned

we're definitely in a vicious cycle where everyone discovers whats already been done or either finds something been around for several years

Edited by maxXPsoft

Well, it does happen.

People discuss a few things, then move to the next level.

At which point a fresh set of ppl come in each year, and start from the beginning again. It'd then be the responsibility of veterans, to keep the info accessible, and of the others, to search for it! ;)

Oh well, thats life....

BTW, that tutorial you linked to, is newer than this topic by rikgale, so he hasn't repeated your topic....

No it wasn't newer Jul 27 2005 I did the Top thing

You know prathapml

I typed in Quick Launch

in the Google Search right above and chose search forums and my link wasn't even on first page. Been my trouble since I've been coming here actually. If I didn't have it in my Fav's it would get lost in all these pages.

Edited by maxXPsoft

Dude, how can you get this without the reg stuff?

I just highlighted part of the reg setting in question

I will try next time just copy those icons over to Quicklaunch and see what happens though

And by the way you don't need to pack them in an sfx.

4.14 KB turns into 99.9 KB in a SFX. Good Grief.

Just copy to the location I specify in my post on this http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51753

post-9484-1134285183_thumb.gif

Edited by maxXPsoft

Dude, how can you get this without the reg stuff?

I just highlighted part of the reg setting in question

I will try next time just copy those icons over to Quicklaunch and see what happens though

And by the way you don't need to pack them in an sfx.

4.14 KB turns into 99.9 KB in a SFX. Good Grief.

Just copy to the location I specify in my post on this http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51753

no thx works fine for me , and about kbs .... ever thought about a dvd :whistle:

and R/W is even better both CD/DVD for testing cause I can do both

muiz

I'm only pointing out that your going through a lot of hassle to make that SFX when all you need to do is simply copy the files to a certain dir and they are done and complete on install. Heck you can even create a .cmd will do all that for you in one step

No need for the SFX

even with SFX you still need the command to execute it and extract.

Not so with the File copy

Edited by maxXPsoft

SFX is good in fact.

One, it reduces cluttered files & directories going to more than 8 depths.

Two, its easier - just execute it, and its done!

Three, it reduces size - I have about 40 custom *.LNK files which I extract into %allusersprofile%\StartMenu - and it went down from 300 KB to 104 KB. ;)

Anybody any success creating a 2 line Task bar? What im looking to do is have the Task bar locked with the QL area resize to contain exactly 2 rows of 5 QL icons.
Yes, that does work perfectly.

Follow the same method, whether its for 1-line or 2-line taskbar.

CD is far more compatible.

Not everybody wants to use a DVD, for the reason that the ppl whom they give discs, might not have dvd-rom drives.

Or just plainly CD is small & cute & low-cost! ;)

let me remind you that its almost 2006 , if you stil dont have a dvd by now .....poor you

:wacko: