SSH Secure Shell

Ctwizzy

I have a Student vers of SSH

I use this:

%cdrom%\Software\SSH\SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe -s

Tho its never ever silent

Its an Install Shield app. Ive tried using the -R tho it doesnt seem to generate a setup.iss file. So I just use the -s.

Does anyone have a clue?

from http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/ap...stallshield.htm

Just wondering if you followed this step:

3. After installation has completed, go to your C:\Windows\ (or C:\WINNT\) directory and take out the setup.iss file. Put this setup.iss file in the same directory where your application setup.exe file resides in.

Also, you could use Putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) that doesn't need to be installed. It can be run from anywhere.

Ok I think I might have found the problem. When I first run the app it has an Installshield setup Launcher, but then turns into Inno Setup for the actual installation. I can tell as it has the http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/apps/innosetup.htm image found at the bottom of the screen.

So it uses IS then Inno. this is messed.

Ill try using just the Inno switches but something tells me this wont work.

Ok so I watched when I ran the setup.exe it opens InstallShield Wizard, then that exits, and SSH Secure Shell for Workstations 3.2.9 Setup is then opened.

This is really frusterating.

Ok so FINALLY fixed all this. I was mistaken about it being 2 installers, it looks exactlt like the Inno setup screen but its not, its all InstallShield. The reason I was not getting a setup.iss file is because I was following the http://unattended.msfn.org/intermediate/ap...stallshield.htm method which says -R. I realize now after never ever finding this setup.iss for any IS app, that its not -R, but /r http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=37796&hl=

I dont know its its just wrong on the website, or if that does work with some, but /r works for me.

All good now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so with further testing this application is 100% impossible to silent install.

I have tried /r to create the iss and /s to install the tmp package extracts and then sits at the tmp extracted .exe.

So I then found out you need to use the /a switch to get to the tmp .exe.

So i tried the /s /a /s looks silent, no errors etc, but its not on the system.

tries /s /a again looks silent but its not installed.

I tried /s /sms which again fakes it, but its not installed

Ive tried /s /a /s /sms fakes it

I have extracted the main exe to get the tmp exe and tried all switches on that, and nope.

So the only way now I can think of is to create an AutoIt script. But if they dont want to make a compatible installer screw them I will use a different app.

If someone can recommend a good SSH client that can also do file transfer please let me know. i have tried putty but it doesnt seem to ever connect for me, even tho in SSH the same servers work.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

hi!

give bitvise winSHH a try. it installs silently and using tunnelier from bitvise (freeware) u can do ssh, sftp and sremote-desktop via ssh (u just need to forward port 22 for al that if using a router - thats nice). however, configuration is a bit of getting-used-to-it.

the switches (from wihu, remove the parts that ore not of interest for u):

description.8 = WinSSHD 4.03a

command.8 = %wihu%\WinSSHD\WinSSHD.exe /InstallDir "%programfiles%\WinSSHD" /AcceptEULA

selected.8 = 1

description.9 = Tunnelier 4.04a

command.9 = %wihu%\WinSSHD\Tunnelier.exe /InstallDir "%programfiles%\Bitvise Tunnelier" /AcceptEULA

selected.9 = 1

Ok so with further testing this application is 100% impossible to silent install.

not true.

Using SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe you can get a nice silent install:

1) extract SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe with WinRAR: you should get the typical InstallShield files including a setup.exe

2) Run setup.exe with -r in order to record your answers. This will create a setup.iss in your windows folder.

3) place the setup.iss along with the rest of the files that you extracted earlier. The trick is to invoke the installer with -s AND to tell it where to get the answer file ...

Assuming you have the files in D:\SomeDirWithLongFileName then you should run:

"D:\SomeDirWithLongFileName\setup.exe" -s -f1"D:\SomeDirWithLongFileName\setup.iss"

in order to get a silent install

:hello:

• 9 months later...

not true.

Using SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe you can get a nice silent install:

1) extract SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe with WinRAR: you should get the typical InstallShield files including a setup.exe

2) Run setup.exe with -r in order to record your answers. This will create a setup.iss in your windows folder.

3) place the setup.iss along with the rest of the files that you extracted earlier. The trick is to invoke the installer with -s AND to tell it where to get the answer file ...

Assuming you have the files in D:\SomeDirWithLongFileName then you should run:

"D:\SomeDirWithLongFileName\setup.exe" -s -f1"D:\SomeDirWithLongFileName\setup.iss"

in order to get a silent install

:hello:

thanks!!!! :D:D:D

Edited by pepperland