Making UA Copy Files To My Documents

one more thing guys. If I use this

$Docs\Default User
then my setup won't be customizable as it will be ment for a specific account name, or am I wrong?

What i mean is, that I that you have to replace default user with an actual account name, right?

Another thing. What about Xplode? I mean, how do I execute a program from My Documents using Xplode? As far as I know, all programs that are supposed to get executed by Xplode must be in the same directory as Xplode itself.

If you look under your Docs and Settings folder (and you have show hidden items enabled), you should see a 'Default User' folder. Basically, any changes made within this Default User will apply to any accounts created after these changes are made.

So to answer you 1st question; no, you wont need to change the name to a specific account name, because if you place files in your '$Docs\Default User' folder of your UA cd, then every account created on that pc will have the files which are included in that folder, included in the specific User account folder created for your specific user account.

As far as your 2nd question, I dont use Xplode, so I cant help ya with that one.

Another thing. What about Xplode? I mean, how do I execute a program from My Documents using Xplode? As far as I know, all programs that are supposed to get executed by Xplode must be in the same directory as Xplode itself.

Xplode should run at T12, xplode.exe will usually be in the $OEM$\install folder of your UWXPCD as will your XML file however you can put install programs in any folder as long as the XML file points to the right place

i.e <item name='Adobe Acrobat 7'>

<file name='Installing Adobe Acrobat 7...' command='execute' program='#systemdrive#\install\AdobeReader7\AdobeReader7.msi' arguments='/qb'></file>

</item>

XPlode supports all current variables initiated by the environment of the system. So EVERYTHING listed when you type SET in a command prompt should be availabe to XPlode and usable within teh path to the EXE file.
$Docs\Default User

Can't be used in WinRAR. You must have the full path. %UserProfile% should have worked as the default destination though.

My question to this thread is, why not just use the All Users folder for this purpose? I took it to mean, he wanted the file found across all users right? Using Default User, the file SHOULD get copied into the new users folder when created, where as All Users should just have one copy and displayed across all accounts.

My question to this thread is, why not just use the All Users folder for this purpose? I took it to mean, he wanted the file found across all users right? Using Default User, the file SHOULD get copied into the new users folder when created, where as All Users should just have one copy and displayed across all accounts.

I've used the All Users folder, but not too familiar w/it to post about it (not sure when it is/was created). The Default User always worked for me, so I posted that.

Thx, Alanoll for semi-clarity (I'm still learning a lot here at MSFN- want to try XPlode, have older version and still trying to learn the XML).

guys, that didn't work :blink: . When I check $Docs on my VM, the "Default Folder" is there but it's empty even though i inserted a file in it on my UA cd. The shortcut to the file on the cd is the following:

D:\XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\My Documents\The File

Anyone?

$OEM$ needs to be in the root of the CD.... not XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs..

on a completed CD it should read:

D:\$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\My Documents\The File

what you need to do is go into your XPCD folder, then copy all to ISO/CD

CD structure should read:

D:\
   \$OEM$\
   \$OEM$\$1
   \$OEM$\$$
   \$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\My Documents\The File
   \$OEM$\$Progs

you have

D:\
   \XPCD\$OEM$\
   \XPCD\$OEM$\$1
   \XPCD\$OEM$\$$
   \XPCD\$OEM$\$Docs\Default User\My Documents\The File
   \XPCD\$OEM$\$Progs

*as stated above by Alanoll, you can also use the All Users profile:

\$OEM$\$Docs\All Users\My Documents\The File

click link below for a visual

CD structure

My bad, I didn't explain the last part correctly. I have the XPCD folder on the computer but, when I create an ISO file this folder doesn't follow so everything is copied properly. Although that didn't work as I explained. I'm gonna try out Alanoll's method and see if that works.

well, I'm at a loss because it should be working. You seem to be missing a step?

Can you post some links to pics showing your folder(s)? or something?

You're not confusing the \Docs folder that comes on Windows CD with the \$OEM$\$Docs folder, are you? (see my CDstructure link above)

yes, try the All Users profile- should be better anyway.

edit: looking at my All Users profile in Windows Explorer, it has a "Shared Documents" folder... no "My Documents" folder. Maybe try that folder?

Also, the folder is named "Shared Documents", but when I select it, the address bar in WinExplorer reads:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents

confusing..... :blink:

I wonder what would happen if you put the file into the \Docs folder that comes on the Windows CD? (not \$Docs)

Anyone know?

hmmmm.... in that folder (\Docs folder on Windows CD) the only thing is a .gif (WINXP_LOGO_HORIZ_SM.GIF) file with what looks like the Windows boot screen, probably used during the reboot after copying files, prior to setup. I wonder what would happen if that were edited/replaced with a user .gif with same name and such?!

Oh, fun!

Something else to fiddle with! :thumbup

hmmmm.... in that folder (\Docs folder on Windows CD) the only thing is a .gif (WINXP_LOGO_HORIZ_SM.GIF) file with what looks like the Windows boot screen, probably used during the reboot after copying files, prior to setup. I wonder what would happen if that were edited/replaced with a user .gif with same name and such?!

Oh, fun!

Something else to fiddle with!  :thumbup

nope, not it.... loading in VMWare now to see if it shows elsewhere after install.