flashing a bios

Thauzar

To make a long story short: had a P2 400mhz and a P2B motherboard. A long time ago in a gallaxy far far away, a young boy flashed the bios with P2BS instead of P2B files and had to change his motherboard and cpu cause it was not powering on anymore.

My question, is there a way to revive this old board? cause I had the backup of the right bios, but can't put it back cause computer does not start once you f*cked with the bios.

Or maybe someone with a EEPROM writer could help me?

Take a look at the manual for your board, and it is a zif socket, you're in luck. This design is intended to make the bios "switcheable" Whether you decide to make a go of this yourself is entirely up to you.

If you feel you have the expertise to do it, then I say try, but be careful, the pins on a bios chip are delicate. Make for absolutely sure you're grounded. ESD build up can turn your new chip into a really expensive little ornament.

Also, sometimes these BIOS replacements are close to the proce of replacing the old board... Of course, this sucks!

Thanks for all your replies

I was looking for a costless way to do it so I'm gonna read my motherboard book again to see if I did not pass over anything that could help me reset the bios, cause removing the battery did not do a thing.

I read the thread submited right above, and the only solution that is costless (if it works...) in the case you can't reset your bios from the motherboard, is to hotswap it on another board to upload the right versions of the files for my motherboard. But this is higly risky, "not for the faint of heart" as the guy said...