Security update KB885250 causing problem.

BoardBabe

Security update KB885250 is causing problems browsing my local area network. I am not able to see all dirs on a \\localcomputer\c\mydocuments, just as if some files and dirs are hidden (although they are not). This problem has been posted before, and is solved by uninstalling this security update.

However, im a bit annoyed with not having all updates installed, and would like to know the CAUSE of the LAN browsing problem, can I fix this problem although the update is installed?

Anyone else have this installed and does NOT have the problem?

Just dont use it,:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS05-011

Workarounds for Server Message Block Vulnerability - CAN-2005-0045:

Microsoft has tested the following workarounds. While these workarounds will not correct the underlying vulnerability, they help block known attack vectors. When a workaround reduces functionality, it is identified in the following section.

Note Other protocols such as IPX/SPX could be vulnerable to this issue. If those protocols are in use, it would be important to block the appropriate ports for those protocols as well. For more information about IPX/SPX, see the following Microsoft Web site.

• Block TCP ports 139 and 445 at the firewall:

These ports are used to initiate a connection with the affected protocol. Blocking them at the firewall, both inbound and outbound, will help prevent systems that are behind that firewall from attempts to exploit this vulnerability. We recommend that you block all unsolicited inbound communication from the Internet to help prevent attacks that may use other ports. For more information about the ports, visit the following Web site.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

MAy of the security hotfixes are not needed, if you use a 3rd party firewall or disable somes of the uneeded services.

Well, I'd like to use it, cause then I dont have to get that annoying indowws update icon telling me im missing an update. (and yes I know I can disable that, but for future updates I'd like to keep it).

The perfetc solution for me is if someone would be kind enough to post me the fix file :) It would be GREATLY appriciated!

This does'nt really help no. For you who don't know what the problem caused by the update, please read the above link, however there is no "final" solution to the problem in the above link.

RyanVM: If the fix will be in you next update, can you please explain to me how I can fix it in my Norwegian XP as I cannot use your updates (language issue). This is at the moment the last thing to finalize my UA DVD. So please! :)