No more ? :-(

midiboy

Hi !

I have not found any mention of this on the forum yet. Has anyone noticed that Benjamin seemingly decided to discontinue work on Wihu ?

:o

I just read about this on his homepage.

What a pity ! While I understand that Benjamin should probably direct more of his time to his studies I don´t think that completely discontinuing Wihu should be the only solution.

Maybe it could be at least possible to update version 2.1.x from time to time, fix bugs etc. instead of completely abandoning Wihu or make a complete rewrite.

Second reason is, there are really many tools like this now, just take a look at MSFN forum.
Mhh, actually the only tool I found during a quick look on MSFN that seems to do a similar thing as Wihu is Xplode. However, this tool seems EXTREMELY complicated to use/setup from my point of view, not only because it relies on XML. Other than that, I could not find a similar thing to Wihu anywhere. :unsure:
I don't find any motivation to recreate my tool since most users seems don't to use it.

I can´t talk about other people here obviously, but I use Wihu regularily. Actually I wouldn´t even know what to do with my precious unattended installation DVD without Wihu ! Just so you know how important Wihu is to some of us .... :yes:

A small request at the end ...

Could you maybe fix this bug in the current version that prevents the desktop symbols/other files to be copied over from the default user\Desktop folder to the Desktop folder of a newly created user if the Desktop location is moved from the original location to any other location like D:\Desktop ?

You said you would fix this in the upcoming rewrite but seemingly this won´t happen so ...

Anyway, even if you are really discontinuing Wihu ... thanks for your work over the last months and good luck for your studies (at least finish quickly and THEN sell a new Wihu to us :hello: )

Bye,

Alex

Hi Benjamin,

hello :hello: and thanks for still adding the format feature :)

The shell folder bug:

in the current last version, everything works fine if you leave the location of the Windows Desktop at the default position in C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\NewUser\Desktop. All the content of C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\DEFAULT USER\Desktop is copied over to the new users Desktop.

However, if you choose to move the location of the Windows Desktop to any other place in Wihu (during creation of a new user), lets say to D:\Alexander\Desktop, then nothings gets copied to the new Desktop folder on D:\Alexander\Desktop although Wihu properly created that folder.

Thanks for your help,

Bye,

Alex

Benjamin,

sorry to say that but you must be wrong ... :)

I just checked this. I am using the latest version ( I think) of Wihu: It is 2.1.17.1

I have quite a few lnk files in C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Default User\Desktop.

Those files should normally be copied over to the Desktop of a new user.

I created a new user in Wihu named Bernd. I set Windows Desktop to D:\%ThisUser%\Desktop in Wihu.

I then logged on as that user and the Desktop was empty.

Sorry ... :whistle:

Bye,

Alex

So I added format feature, I also fixed the bug, please could you verify if it works as expected?

Please note: WIHU isn't able to create partitions, or to detect unmounted volumes. Only unformated mounted volumes can be formated.

Wie du siehst scheint es wirklich niemanden zu interessieren, also so wie ich es angenommen hatte;) Hier war ja auch eh nichts mehr los im Forum.

Benjamin Kalytta

Hi Benjamin,

many thanks for fixing this bug. I just tested it. Works fine now, thank you very much !

As for the format feature ... wow ... that was quick ! I thought that would take longer ..

:lol:

Can you quickly describe how it works ? I guess it works "automatically" if user shell folders are set to D:\ for instance, and Wihu tries to create them there and the volume is not formatted yet, it will pop up a message and ask for format parameters ... at least thats what I could think of.

Wie du siehst scheint es wirklich niemanden zu interessieren, also so wie ich es angenommen hatte;) Hier war ja auch eh nichts mehr los im Forum.
´

Verstehe ich ehrlich gesagt nicht ganz. Wo sind die Leute alle hin ? Was benutzen die jetzt ? Xplode scheint das einzige "Konkurrenzprodukt" zu Wihu zu sein (zumindest hab ich nichts anderes gefunnden) und das hab ich nicht ganz durchschaut ... :rolleyes:

Ich find´s schade. Wihu ist echt cool und funktioniert wirklich zuverlässig. Das einzige "mühsame" ist das neunummerieren von Einträgen in der Installationsliste wenn man mal wo was einfügen will, aber das stört mich persönlich ned so wahnsinnig. Die Leute da draussen sind wohl alle xml freaks, obwohl ich persönlich xml noch ned wirklich durchschaut hab, naja ... bin ja auch kein Programmierer.

Danke jedenfalls nochmal für deine hilfe und Arbeit über die letzten Monate ! Ich hoffe ich werde dich bezüglich bugs nicht allzu oft quälen müssen !

:hello:

Bye,

Alex

Can you quickly describe how it works ? I guess it works "automatically" if user shell folders are set to D:\ for instance, and Wihu tries to create them there and the volume is not formatted yet, it will pop up a message and ask for format parameters ... at least thats what I could think of.
These are test images:

wihu.test.1.png

wihu.test.2.png

Yes, if WIHU detects an unformated mounted drive, it first asks if the user want to format. (MessageBox will close in 10 seconds in /AutoInstall mode btw.)

As for the format feature ... wow ... that was quick ! I thought that would take longer ..

It's for a long time now already finished and integrated in WIHU but it was not activated.

Xplode scheint das einzige "Konkurrenzprodukt" zu Wihu zu sein (zumindest hab ich nichts anderes gefunnden) und das hab ich nicht ganz durchschaut ...

Naja, da gibt es noch WPI, auch wenn ich es persönlich etwas kitschig finde und es auch nicht allzugroße Funktionalität hat. Was halt dort vorhanden ist, ist glaube ich die Möglichkeit direkt auch über das Tool neue Dateien usw. einzubinden, d.h. man muss sich nicht durch eine INI Datei wühlen. Ich hatte ja eigentlich auch vorgehabt so ein INI Erstellungstool zu erstellen was die Sache erheblich vereinfacht hätte.

Benjamin Kalytta

Hi Benjamin,

vielleicht bringt das "format feature" ja wieder paar user zurück zu Wihu :D

Ich habs gerade in einer virtuellen Maschine ausprobiert. Funktioniert super ! Du bist echt genial !!! :thumbup

Eine kleine Verbesserungsmöglichkeit gäbs da aber noch ... :rolleyes:

Es sollte aus dem Formatierungsdialog heraus möglich sein zurück zur Userinstallation in Wihu zu gelangen. Es könnte ja zb. sein, daß man vergessen hat die Shellfolder zu ändern oder zb. während des Formatierungsdialogs draufkommt daß das Laufwerk zb. mit einem Linuxformat formatiert wurde etc.

Wäre das schwierig, das noch einzubauen, das die Installation sozusagen abgebrochen wird und man nochmal zurück gelangen kann ?

Wenn ja, vergiss es. Wenn nein, wärs schon cool !

Und eine kleine Frage noch: Es kann garantiert nicht passieren, dass Wihu ein formatiertes Laufwerk als unformatiert erkennt oder ? Nicht, daß da mal was passiert ... :lol:

Thanks,

Alex

PS:

SORRY guys for writing all this in German, I only realized this half way through and was too lazy to write everything again ...

Es sollte aus dem Formatierungsdialog heraus möglich sein zurück zur Userinstallation in Wihu zu gelangen. Es könnte ja zb. sein, daß man vergessen hat die Shellfolder zu ändern oder zb. während des Formatierungsdialogs draufkommt daß das Laufwerk zb. mit einem Linuxformat formatiert wurde etc.

Wäre das schwierig, das noch einzubauen, das die Installation sozusagen abgebrochen wird und man nochmal zurück gelangen kann ?

Ist machbar, müsste das allerdings dann vor der eigentlichen Abarbeitung prüfen, könnte kompliziert werden. Werde mir mal überlegen ob sich es lohnt das zu ändern.
Es kann garantiert nicht passieren, dass Wihu ein formatiertes Laufwerk als unformatiert erkennt oder ? Nicht, daß da mal was passiert ...
It's not possible that WIHU will detect an formated drive as unformated?

No that's not possible as long Windows will detect the drive as formated with known filesystem. Linux drives for example will be detected as unformated! Also broken drives (after big system crash for example) may be deteced as unformated. However in later case your aren't able to access this drive in windows anymore.

Benjamin Kalytta

Hi !

I have not found any mention of this on the forum yet. Has anyone noticed that Benjamin seemingly decided to discontinue work on Wihu ?

Nope. This was the first time that I have heard of it.

I just read about this on his homepage.

What a pity ! While I understand that Benjamin should probably direct more of his time to his studies I don´t think that completely discontinuing Wihu should be the only solution.

Well, the source code is available. Maybe some enterprising individual could take up the cause and run with it.

Second reason is, there are really many tools like this now, just take a look at MSFN forum.

Mhh, actually the only tool I found during a quick look on MSFN that seems to do a similar thing as Wihu is Xplode. However, this tool seems EXTREMELY complicated to use/setup from my point of view, not only because it relies on XML. Other than that, I could not find a similar thing to Wihu anywhere. :unsure:

I don't find any motivation to recreate my tool since most users seems don't to use it.
I can´t talk about other people here obviously, but I use Wihu regularily. Actually I wouldn´t even know what to do with my precious unattended installation DVD without Wihu ! Just so you know how important Wihu is to some of us .... :yes:

I actually use both WIHU and XPlode. The select install of XPlode is clunky at best. So what I do is select the options with WIHU and use XPlode to install them.

A note to Benjamin:

There are only 3 programs that allow unattended installs, that I know of. WPI, WIHU, and XPlode. WPI does what I want in the wrong way and there is a somewhat steep learning curve with XPlode. Don't think that because people don't post a whole lot doesn't mean that they don't use it. For what it's worth, I use it. It is a good tool.

Hmm... Now that I have VS2K3, I might try a couple of things with the source code...

Ist machbar, müsste das allerdings dann vor der eigentlichen Abarbeitung prüfen, könnte kompliziert werden. Werde mir mal überlegen ob sich es lohnt das zu ändern.
Hi Benjamin,

ich will dich nicht wieder vom Studium ablenken, wie gesagt, wenn es leicht geht wärs echt super, ansonsten lass es. Danke auf jeden Fall !

There are only 3 programs that allow unattended installs, that I know of. WPI, WIHU, and XPlode. WPI does what I want in the wrong way and there is a somewhat steep learning curve with XPlode.  For what it's worth, I use it. It is a good tool.

I agree. There are NOT many options. I did not look at WPI yet but I did have a look at Xplode and I have no idea how to use that tool. That may be because I could not for the life of it find any sort of beginners guide ... it certainly looked intimidating enough for me to forget about it.

Don't think that because people don't post a whole lot doesn't mean that they don't use it.
Agreed. It could also mean that people use it and have no problems with it ! Which is a good thing ... :D
Well, the source code is available. Maybe some enterprising individual could take up the cause and run with it.

Yeah, Wihu is certainly worth it ! :thumbup

Bye,

Alex

Don't think that because people don't post a whole lot doesn't mean that they don't use it.

Agreed. It could also mean that people use it and have no problems with it ! Which is a good thing ... :D

second that...

please dont discontinue it :no:

second that...

please dont discontinue it :no:

Which was the point that I was making.