I hear beeps coming from my computer

icematt1973

This is coming internally form my computer..

I purchased Windows XP Home and installed it on my computer, but sometimes, especially if I am playing a game , it will make beeping noises, very much like the old arcade game PONG!!

weird..

I don't know what it is doing this, but I get the same sounds on different games, it will also do this when I am just in Windows and not playing a game.

This is internal and not from my speakers...

Any ideas?

Another Q I have is what is the diffeence between XP Home and Pro?

Thank you!

Matt

I went into my BIOS and disabled beeping when my computer overheats... It stopped beeping. But why is it overheating? I have 2 cooling fans in there, a heat sync, blah blah blah, The tech guy said this is more than enough coolng for my system. Also, the beeping didn't start until I started a game, like Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic 2. Once I turned off the game, the beeping would continue while I am in general Windows. Once I disabled the beeping, my game started crashing too... Does anyone know why?

What should my temp be set at?

TX

Matt

Apparently something is wrong with it.

Look in your motherboard user manual and distiguish the beeps from the system speaker to what the manual states. After you have figured that out determine what needs to be fixed to resolve your issue.

If you do not have a manual look up your motherboard online. If you did not build your own system contact your vendor who you purchased your PC from.

Disabling beeping is going to cost you. I just hope you have the funds to back up a melted system and ignoring the fact that something is wrong.

maybe the bios settings on the CPU and RAM timing are wrong

if it's been overclocked whether accidentally or on purposes, things can go wrong

check the front side bus speed of the CPU, and make sure the RAM clock isn't set at a different timing. I've seen that kill the mobo already

IE, if it's an AMD XP series, the RAM time for a 2100XP should be set at 266MHz

for a 2600 should be 333MHz

only the 3200 should be set to 400

while technically it should be able to clock higher if the ram supports it, for some reason it seems to cause problems such as wiping out the bios or overheating the CPU. I saw one such setup that it melted out the thermal compound between the heatsink and CPU :wacko:

Well they are all good idea's but. Finding out why it is beeping and the code to the beep is essential before checking anything else.

Your system speaker beeps for a reason. I wouldnt get too involved with your system until you know what the beeps are. You should never disable your system speaker.

I sounds like your heat-sink is not seated properly or your CPU is damaged. Either way, you'll need professional help (unless you're technical that way) to remove the CPU and check the heat-sink... if the heat-sink is seated properly, check to make sure the fans are powered up and spinning (under power)... The damage may already be done and your cpu is probably toasted now... Sorry... :(