The Ultimate Itunes Unattended Guide

PryGuy

Hello everybody!

I have found a VERY simple way to install the iTunes. Sorry for starting a new topic, but I hope it will finally solve the problem for many people installing iTunes. And I hope this gonna be the last topic dedicated to the iTunes installation because I've REALLY found a simple and working solution. It will not require any specially rebuilt switchless distributions or something.

So you'll need the iTunes 4.7 version (haven't tried the method with 4.7.1 but sure it will work too) and you'll have to put the ONLY SINGLE LINE in your batch file that is used to install additional software on first logon:

ITUNESSETUP.EXE /S /V"ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ALLUSERS=1 SILENT_INSTALL=1 /QN"

And that's it! Now the short explainations about the switches:

ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 tells setup not to use the external setup settings file.

ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 makes iTunes the default media player in your system.

ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 doesn't make QuickTime your default media player (installs it though for the iTunes will not work without it).

ALLUSERS=1 Installs iTunes for all users.

SILENT_INSTALL=1 ...well, you know... :)

So I could say good bye here, but since it's a guide I think it's important to say what else you probably might do after the successfull iTunes installation:

First of all, you can write a registry key that disables the ugly and useless QuickTime taskbar icon and copy the previously saved QuickTime.qtp settings file (read the next paragraph about it) in your %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\APPLICATION DATA\QUICKTIME\ folder overwriting the file created with the setup:

REG ADD "HKLM\Software\Apple Computer, Inc.\QuickTime\ActiveX" /V "QTTaskRunFlags" /T "REG_DWORD" /D "00000002" /F
COPY PATH_TO_THE_FILE\QuickTime.qtp "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\APPLICATION DATA\QUICKTIME\QuickTime.qtp" /Y
TASKKILL.EXE /F /IM QTTASK.EXE

The last line kills the task with the icon on the Taskbar.

Now a few words about the QuickTime.qtp file. It is a settings file for the QuickTime program. All the settings you make in your QuickTime program are stored in it. So it is better to tweak the QuickTime to fit your needs and then take the file from the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\APPLICATION DATA\QUICKTIME\ folder and put it somewhere in your Windows Unattended distribution folder. It is very imprortant to copy the file after the iTunes/QuickTime installation, because QuickTime overwrites the old file with it's own during the installation.

I will tell what you should tweak preparing your QuickTime.qtp file:

In Edit/Preferences/Player Preferences uncheck the "Show Hot Picks movie automatically" checkbox.

In Edit/Preferences/Quick Time Preferences/Browser Plug-in uncheck the "Quick Time system tray icon" checkbox.

In Edit/Preferences/Quick Time Preferences/Connection Speed choose your connection speed.

In Edit/Preferences/Quick Time Preferences/File Type Assotiations uncheck the "Notify me if other..." checkbox.

In Edit/Preferences/Quick Time Preferences/Registration register your QuickTime. It's better to do it if you can because if you don't the QuickTime will bug you with the annoying "Upgrade to QuickTime Pro" banner.

In Edit/Preferences/Quick Time Preferences/Update Check uncheck the "Check for Updates Automatically" checkbox.

Now, the last step, what you should do with the two iTunes preferences files: On the first run iTunes creates the two files with the same name, iTunes.pref. The first one is in %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes and the second one is in %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes. Start your iTunes, tweak it as you want, take these two files and put them in the $OEM$\$DOCS\Default User\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes and the $OEM$\$DOCS\Default User\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes folders accordingly.

Now, that's about all! Have fun! :thumbup

Awesome... cant wait to test this out. Do you know if theres also a switch which can be used to install in an alternate location? Does INSTALLDIR work with this like it does with other installsheild apps?

UPDATE:: Ah holy hell.. thanks so much for this. Just tested on the latest iTunes (4.71.*) and this works like a **** charm and by the way you mentioned this update Im sure you realize there has been a ton of discussion on the 'optimum' way to do this.

Finally... a method that actually works flawlessly without a bunch of scripting or hacking up of the installer.

Oh and INSTALLDIR works like a charm as well...

You rock.. and nice work.

1 of two ways you can do this..

1st off, what I did was take the 2 iTunes.pref files and the 1 QT settings file and placed them in a folder (called 'prefs') of which is located in the folder where the itunessetup.exe is. Because they have the same name, I added '-LOC' to the iTunes.pref file found in 'local settings\...' and '-APP' for the one found in 'Application Data\...'

1. Create a batch file (which can be placed in the same folder as your setup.exe) that does these steps for you (run setup.exe and copy the 3 files) and call it from your ROE:

@echo off
set APPS=[<Set Location of where your iTunes installation folder is located here>]

"%APPS%\iTunes\setup.exe" /S /V"ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ALLUSERS=1 SILENT_INSTALL=1 INSTALLDIR=C:\Multimedia\iTunes /QN"

ECHO F | XCOPY /Y "%APPS%\iTunes\Prefs\iTunes.pref-APP" "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\Prefs\iTunes.pref"
ECHO F | XCOPY /Y "%APPS%\iTunes\Prefs\iTunes.pref-LOC" "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref"
XCOPY /Y "%APPS%\iTunes\Prefs\QuickTime.qtp" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\APPLICATION DATA\QUICKTIME\"

or

2. Place each of the 4 commands in your ROE:

REG ADD %KEY%\021 /VE /D "iTunes v4.7" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\021 /V 1 /D "%APPS%\iTunes\setup.exe /S /V\"ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ALLUSERS=1 SILENT_INSTALL=1 INSTALLDIR=C:\Multimedia\iTunes /QN\"" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\021 /V 2 /D "ECHO F | XCOPY /Y \"%APPS%\iTunes\iTunes.pref-APP\" \"%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref\"
REG ADD %KEY%\021 /V 3 /D "ECHO F | XCOPY /Y \"%APPS%\iTunes\iTunes.pref-LOC\" \"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iTunes.pref\"
REG ADD %KEY%\021 /V 3 /D "XCOPY /Y \"%APPS%\iTunes\Prefs\QuickTime.qtp" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\APPLICATION DATA\QUICKTIME\\"

I havent gotten around to testing these, but they should work.

Also.. dont forget to change the 'INSTALLDIR=' switch if you want iTunes to be installed to another location (or remove it entirely if you want it installed to your Program Files folder)

Im sure you realize there has been a ton of discussion on the 'optimum' way to do this.
Yes, of course I do realize. :)
You rock.. and nice work.
Thank you! Hope many people will enjoy this simple and working solution. :yes:

Now, Durex, a few words on your methods you've posted in the message above:

I still think it's better to put the two iTunes.pref files in $OEM$\$DOCS\Default User\... folders, not copy them to %USERPROFILE%\... folders, because if we assume the Unattended Windows can have more than one user account and if we make it your way all the newly created accounts WILL NOT have the iTunes settings files copied in their folders automatically on first logon, only the first one, the account where the iTunes was installed. And in my method they are copied AUTOMATICALLY! No more boring scripting!

Another reason why I think it's better to do it my way is that even if you copy the files using your script to the %SYSTEM DRIVE%\Documents and Settings\Default User\... folders you'll have the settings applied automatically to all the newly created accounts on their filrst login, but NOT for the user account you use for the iTunes installation for you're ALREADY logged in.

Best wishes!

Yea... I just did it that way cause I dont really like using $OEM$, plus Im the only person that uses my pc... so this method works for me.

To each his own, right? ;)

and thx again for this much needed streamlined method....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Although this is an old topic, I just found it a few days ago :) I've seen many question about Itunes on this board lately. So this is the reason for this reply, and ofcourse i want to thank PryGuy for this great guide :thumbup

This indeed is the ultimate solution!!

It also works with Itunes 4.8

and some switches work for the Ipod updater aswell

iPodUpdater\setup.exe" /S /V"ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 SILENT_INSTALL=1 /QN"

Thanks alot PryGuy :thumbup:thumbup

@erik_demon:

You're welcome, my friend! :)

@durex:

Well, the question is: why do you want iTunes without QuickTime if it won't work without it? :). I doubt there's a switch, at least I couldn't find it in the iTunes installer. Yet why do you think Apple should include such switch if it will make troubles with playback?! I haven't explored this way, but I think you'll have to install the QuickTime Alternative or something anyway. Because literally there's no sound without the QuickTime codecs...

Another reason is: iTunes uses the QuickTime codecs for playback, and they are FAR BETTER than the Windows Media Player codecs for instance. You may feel the difference even on the middle-end acoustics and sound card (I've tested it on the AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 sound card + Defender Volcano 2 speakers). So iTunes with QuickTime codecs is really the best audio player around. :thumbup

If you really can't stand QuickTime, think maybe the best solution for you will be just to add a line in your script that deletes the QuickTime folder from the Start Menu. :whistle:

Well, for 1- I hate quick time. Its a bloated, resource intensive, useless app that i need for 2% of all media I ever download...

But for that 2%.. and like you touched on... for iTunes to run, I do install QuickTime alternative.

Currently, for my unattended install, I install iTunes using your great recommendations, then I have a VBScript, which calls the QuickTime uninstaller and sends the keyboard command to 'uninstall everything' for quick time, then I install quicktime alternative after this.

If I could figure out how to simply not include the quicktime components, it would help me remove an entire step from my install processes.

Remind me again.. where did you find these added parameters? If you can point me in the right direction, I can do the research on it.

Thanks again!

First, how to take the iTunes installer out of the package without the QuickTime stuff:

1. Open your %TEMP% folder and erase all folders there, it will be easier to find the iTunes temporary folder.

2. Start iTunesSetup.exe. DO NOT CLOSE THE WINDOW!

3. Look inside the newly created folder in your %TEMP% folder (in my case it has the name "_isD8")

4. You'll see the iTunes.msi file. And that's it. No QuickTime!!! :yes: You can use all the switches with this file, such as: ISSETUPDRIVEN=0 ASSUME_MEDIA_DEFAULTS=1 ASSUME_QT_DEFAULTS=0 ALLUSERS=1 SILENT_INSTALL=1 /QN

Second, how to examine the iTunes.msi file:

There's a great utility called ORCA. It's a part of Windows Installer SDK. Of course you may download the entire SDK from Micro$oft, but you may find this utility alone if you try... :) It's nice and handy and you can inspect the MSI packages for switches and all, and you can also modify the packages. So download it, open the iTunes.msi file and look for the "Property" table. Here you go! :thumbup

BUT! As far as I know you'll also loose the iPod functionality and you won't be able to burn CDs. I was inspecting these things two or three months ago, so I can't say for sure what you'll have to do to make the iTunes work after such unconditional installation, but in other words the problem is that in this case of installation iTunes doesn't register some services and stuff as it does during the ordinary installation. So good luck to you on this hard way named "I can't stand QuickTime"! :D

And please explain me this thing: Does the QuickTime alternative use the native codecs taken out of the QuickTime installation or it has it's own codecs compatible with QuickTime? That's important for me 'cause I like iTunes mainly for it's great sound made by the QuickTime codecs, and I doubt that the codecs supplied with the QuickTime alternative can produce the same great sound (if they are not the native QuickTime codecs of course).