1394bus.sys Or 1394bus.sy_

Treeman

1394bus.sys (50kb, 3/31/2003) is a file I have in XP Pro Sp1.

In SP2, in the i386 folder is a file named 1394bus.sy_ (30kb, 8/3/2004)

I have tweaked the SP2.cab files to overwrite:

SBP2port.sys

1394bus.sys

arp1394.sys

nic1394.sys

ohci1394.sys

These files were replaced with the same name, SP1 Firewire drivers.

All this in a second attempt to install SP2, and have my firewire drivers work.

Just wondering about the above two system files, can I just rename the SP1 file 1394bus.sys to 1394bus.sy_ and stick it in the SP2/i386 folder?

Any help would be appreciated to finalize this project. I'd ask MS, but I think I'm better off asking here.

Thanks,

Treeman

I think you will run into some problems when you do this.

This line is used in txtsetup.sif

sp2.cab      = 100,,,,,,_x,39,0,0

The problem is the "X"

the "X" tells setup to look-up this file in LAYOUT.INF

in this file the the orginal filesize is stored (in bytes). This means that if you added or modified files in the SP2.cab, your filesize will be different. When this happens setup will give an error that the file is either modified or corrupt.

LAYOUT.INF is digitaly signed, so it can't be changed without hacking some files

Quote RyanVM:

Unfortunately, layout.inf is digitally signed and, unless you hack syssetup.dll, setup will throw up a signature verification error very early into the GUI portion.

I don't know if this will help you but I'm afraid that you have to do this another way (I don't know how)

Check this post for some more info.

BTS, i've a Q:

in the layou.inf there r the originall file size ,which included in txtsetup.sif (or drvindex.inf?), when we overwrite the .sys file into \i386, the file size should different from the sizeinfo in layout.inf , then any problem?

BTS, i've a Q:

in the layou.inf there r the originall file size ,which included in txtsetup.sif (or drvindex.inf?), when we overwrite the .sys file into \i386, the file size should different from  the sizeinfo in layout.inf , then any problem?

Yes, then you'll have some problems: errors that the file is corrupted or something like that. (I don't remember the exact error message you'll get)

Yes, then you'll have some problems: errors that the file is corrupted or something like that. (I don't remember the exact error message you'll get)

Then how to solve this problem?

maybe we should use another filename for the entries in the txtsetup.sif ,such as ultra1.sys instead of ultra.sys .

but.... because of digital singned xxx.inf with .cat ,we can't modify the installation filename in the xx.inf :angry:

or like nLite ,use another folder stead of i386 to copy the file(need to be overwrite,or all new driver) to ?