Having Windows Keep The Drivers

X-Savior

Hey Rogue!

You make a very good point! :)

This was the basis of how this all originally started. It was with USB in mind. Then it grew and kept going. :blink:

I think everyone should look at combining several methods depending on an Individual's specific requirements to keep things lite.

@Bashrat

:blushing: Sorry, my bad. I forgot about that small detail! It didn't really cross my mind at the time.

@RogueSpear: exactly what I was thinking. Currently there is not a single DriverPack that I would like to keep after the installation (for many LAN and certainly WLAN might be the exception).

I'll include the option to choose DPs to be kept in one of the next versions.

I was updating the 'Read this first'-sticky that lists all major topics related to Device Drivers. Of course I was adding a link to this topic too.

But I was wondering... where is the tutorial? I thought you wrote one somewhere in this topic, X-Savior? But I was only able to find erik_demon's .doc tutorial. For now I've linked to that one.

I think the best solution (at least for me) was to just unpack the drivers with method 1. then burn the drivers folders onto a cd-rom. Now whenever I need to load new drivers I just pop in the cd and windows is automatically set to browse all cd directories and this works!

Thanks Bashrat for all your hard work!!!

MUCH APPRECIATED.

Thanks, Beagz :)

And I must say: clever idea :) Once thought of it myself, but it was far far away (:P) in the misty and forgetting world that's called my brains :P

P.S.: Did you use THIS method or Schalti's method (SetupCopyOEMInf.exe)?

P.S. II: Double post removed.

Hey!

@Bashrat

Well, I never actually made a Tutorial Yet. I just posted my method. But if you would like, I can make a full tutorial for you to post. :)

Also, I like the idea of a Drivers Disc as well. That might be a great solution for full driver support. But, that's another thought for another day. :whistle:

Also, I think maby we should have a Vote for who uses what method to get an idea overall what people seem to like the best. Just an idea to help us focus on what people want. Or maby I am just :wacko:

Thanks, Beagz :)

And I must say: clever idea :) Once thought of it myself, but it was far far away (:P) in the misty and forgetting world that's called my brains :P

P.S.: Did you use THIS method or Schalti's method (SetupCopyOEMInf.exe)?

I tried both and some other methods. Just doing the Method 1 preparation and then copying all the driver folders (C, G, M, L, S, W) to cd works best. Using the SetupCopyOEMInf.exe did not yield any better result in my case.

I prefer just having a CD that I can use on any computer even with windows already installed and not have to go hunting the drivers down.

Thanks again!

I think that this additional cab file method is what's going to be necessary for there to be a monitor driver pack or a printer driver pack. Using the latest DPs and one custom DP of my own (which is not big), I am right up to the 4096 limit of OEMPnPDriversPath.

It would seem that the precious little room left in the path should be reserved for the existing DPs to be able to accomodate future drivers. And honestly this true integration method is perfect for things like monitors and printers. So I'm wondering since I have not tinkered with this yet - do we have a rock solid solution here? Something that can be replicated most, if not all, of the time?

@RogueSpear

It's not totally rock solid.

This method doesn't work when you have double filenames in your archive. For now, we know no way to tell drvindex.inf which file to use. This leads to crashes (and possibly corrupt installed drivers). This method works great as long as there are no duplicate filenames inside.

schalti method doesn't have this problem.

Then again schalti method doesn't work with .CAB files, and it doesn't work in presetup.cmd (and I believe it doesn't work with detacheprogram either.)

If we could somehow solve this, we would have a perfect method to both install, and preserve the drivers.

• 2 weeks later...

When I use the option to keep the drivers I get that pop up message that some of the drivers have not passed Windows Logo testing. I know there is a reg key you can change that will make it so you are not prompted for this. Would it be possible to make that change before the step where windows keeps the drivers so that the pop=up message does not show up?

:hello: Hey All,

There is a line in the WinNt.sif that will do it.

[Unattended]
UnattendMode = GuiAttended
UnattendSwitch = Yes
OemPreinstall = Yes
OemSkipEula = Yes
FileSystem = *
WaitForReboot = No
NoWaitAfterTextMode = 1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode = 1
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
DriverSigningPolicy = Ignore               --------- This line right here
NonDriverSigningPolicy = Ignore          --------- Also This One I think
Hibernation = No
TimeZone=010

I Hope this helps! Also, I am still at a loss to solve the multiple filename problem.

[Unattended]

I strongly doubt this will solve the problem... At least until anyone else could confirm it?

[Unattended]

I strongly doubt this will solve the problem... At least until anyone else could confirm it?

This is very likely the fix if those who have been testing havent tried it.. I have lost track of the integration of drivers as the only ones I cared about were the raid drivers.. Without them it could prevent an install from finishing.. I dont need sound etc integrated.

Anyway, some time back I added SCSI/RAID drivers without using unattend or adding anything extra exe to windows. I actually added on to txtsetup.sif dosnet.inf and PNPSCSI.INF (windows default scsi/raid drivers for the most part). Anyway.. Wihout winnt.sif (and consiquently the above mentioned entries) every thing worked. However, since my drivers (fastrak tx2000 at the time) were not signed, I would receive driver signing notices every time.

Since the method still requires a OEM preinstall type of setup, I would add the entries to winnt.sif if you havent done so and give it a go.

@RogueSpear

It's not totally rock solid.

This method doesn't work when you have double filenames in your archive. For now, we know no way to tell drvindex.inf which file to use. This leads to crashes (and possibly corrupt installed drivers). This method works great as long as there are no duplicate filenames inside.

schalti method doesn't have this problem.

Then again schalti method doesn't work with .CAB files, and it doesn't work in presetup.cmd (and I believe it doesn't work with detacheprogram either.)

If we could somehow solve this, we would have a perfect method to both install, and preserve the drivers.

Schalit's method works just fine. Compression is done using the Driver Compressor Tool (Same result in filesize as regular .CAB), and his method does work during detachedprogram period. No need to hack the setup.exe file. This is the best method I've seen so far :)

I've posted an autoIt script in Schalti's thread about it:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=43795&st=50#