How Do I Delete Internet Shortcuts?

notgotwiththisstuff

1. Clear the AutoComplete in:

IE > Tools > Int Options > Content >Autocomplete.

2. Manually delete the typed URL history in the registry.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs

As for the index.dat, simply boot into another admin account and manually delete the whole Content.IE5 folder.

Content.ie5 folder is not the only place index.dat resides. Trackless cleans 7 or 8 index.dat files. There is one under cookies, user data, history i think, whereever else they try to hide it so the info isn't easily cleared.

I use East-Tec Eraser 2005. It does the job the most efficiently. To erase cache, temp, cookies, index.dats, MRUs, etc from your browser and many other applications beyond software and hardware recovery (DoD Standard), is truly amazing. :thumbup

While not wishing to dispute with anyone else's expertise, it looks the original problem is quite simple and benign in nature.

The heart of the problem seems to be AutoComplete and typed URL history. The website does not seem by the sound of it to be a nasty (hijacking, malware ridden) site.

To have to clean out all the index.dat files on the PC (I know there are quite a few of them) or use 3rd party software would seem a vast overkill in this case. If not used carefully, these tools can clean more than you intend to.

Possibly overkill, possibly a good habit to practice cleaning those files. It's not that I go anywhere I shouldn't be but I didn't like to find out that my habits were being written to many places not easy to clear out. You have the literal solution but why go through all the steps when it's just as easy to get a program to do everything for you whenever you need. Just my opinion. Some of the suggested programs mark spam and do other things more advanced. It's better to know your options... Trackless clears history, index.dat and autocomplete. Small and free. It's got 3 buttons.