Registry Problem

Demetrios13

:(

My operating system is windows xp professional. I was trying to remove adware from my pc and by mistake I erased a wrong value from the registry. Now I cannot get access in the computer. When I power up the pc the windows seem to load ok but when the welcome to windows screen appears the box where you type the password for the user login is not there, it disappeared. So I cannot type in the password and i cannot open the computer.

Is there anything I can do to overide the password screen and go directly into the windows? Before I started "playing" with the registry I made a backup, so if I manage to get into the windows I believe I will be able to restore the damage.

Try this...

At the logonscreen (which doesn't appear), press CTRL-ALT-DELETE

Click on the Applications Tab > New task

Try any one of these if not all...

logonui.exe

winlogon.exe

explorer.exe

And click OK ofcoarse...

If one of these does the trick you may have deleted the relevant registry key. Report back with your results.

Good luck.

So you're also saying you cant use the keyboard. It's not responding at all? Does the Num-lock button work? (num lock light goes on / off)

You could try Winternals Administrator Pack or one of the SuperWinPE bootable CDs that are floating around... Boot from the CD and load the registry hive you've corrupted and replace the deleted entries with the ones from your backup.

Can you select "last known good" from the F8 startup options?

Cheers.

Sorry to hear that, mate.

I'm really running out of answers.

Looks like you'll have to create a bootable CD like SuperWinPE or Winternal's Admin Tools and edit the registry that way (load hive). There are plenty rescue CD's available. Try here or google for "rescue cd".

Hope that helps.

Do you have Remote Registry Service enabled? Do you have more than one computer on your workgroup?

If yes to both, you should be able to power up both computers and edit the bad one's registry from the other PC. That is, if you know what you deleted and you need to fix!