Announcement: Future Of Wihu

BenjaminKalytta

No this is not the end of WIHU :P

I want just inform you that Iam currently working on a new version of WIHU (WIHU 3.0). It's a complete redesign in an more approved and maintainable programming language ... c++.

I decided to use ATL/WTL for this purpose.

I'll also take this time to include some new features and remove features that are unnecessary. But I don't want to decide which feature should be removed or added. So I hope everyone here who is using WIHU will take part on this decision either by posting here or adding feature wishs in my WIHU wishlist (WIHU wishl ist) which will be showed on my homepage.

New WIHU version will also contain an user interface for easier generating of configuration files.

Benjamin Kalytta

Hi Benjamin,

great to see you work on a new version ! What "unnecessary features" did you think about ? Hope it is not something someone finds necessary ;-)

I have added two things to the wishlist which came to mind.

I just hope the new version will not be completely different so we can keep using our ini files or at least the changes should be posted in a very detailed mannor so that changes can be done easily.

Maybe one small add on:

While you are redesigning Wihu ... here are two critical comments I got from numerous "newbies" who used my unattended DVD:

The first comment was about the two user creation dialogs. It was not clear to them why the first user got a dedicated page and all the other users should be created on a different, not similar looking page. Maybe it would be easier if all users would be created on 1 page and the default user would simply be marked by some option (which could default to the first created user )

The second comment I got was very consistent in that no user who operated Wihu got the idea that he could be changing the default shell folders or any other option simply because no one would right click on a user and look into the detailed settings dialog. Maybe it would be easier if there was a more prominent button next to each created user labeled SETTINGS or change settings or something that people would actually notice.

The above comments are of course just suggestions. If someone knows Wihu, he will certainly find his way but newbies operating it sometimes need a different approach but it is up to you ...

Everyone was very happy with the installation part of Wihu by the way ! :-)

Bye,

Alex

I just hope the new version will not be completely different so we can keep using our ini files or at least the changes should be posted in a very detailed mannor so that changes can be done easily.

If ini format changes, I'll create an converter ;)

First comment: The reason for having this is, that most people only want to create one account. If I'd remove this from first page, I think no one (no noob) would create an user account and everyone would use "administrator" account again. Or how do you see this?

Second comment: I'll at least add an "settings" button.

Everyone was very happy with the installation part of Wihu by the way ! :-)

That's great :)

Benjamin Kalytta

• 2 weeks later...
Should I wait for 3.0 to make WIHU a part of my install cd, or will it be simple to go from 2.x to 3 with the converter?

My goal is that the converter will convert 2.x Version into 3.0 Version without any need for manual editing.

Just use current Version ;)

Benjamin Kalytta