5.1 Or 7.1 For Under $150

ripken204

Stay with 5.1, you will not get better sound out of a 7.1 system, especially if there is a budget.

SiMoNsAyS gives you Creative, I would go for Logitech. In general they are better for the price, more power and punching bass too... ;)

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductRes...ech&Order=price

Check this one out:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc....-121-121&depa=0

They sound wonderful for there price, Creative makes nice ones too but still they are a bit behind on Logitech.

Before I used Creative speakers my self because logitech didn’t have nice speaker sets 3 years ago or so. Sins they came out with new lines they kicked a** in speaker marked showing the world how to build affordable speaker systems with a "good enough" sound that sounds most of the time even better then home cinema sets (talking about those DVD systems with build in amp and a small sub in combination with small effect speakers from LG, Samsung, Philips and other brands (not talking about a kick a** home cinema system with big speakers, active subs and a smooth amp from Onkyo, Yamaha or even more audiophile like amp.)

I used to build amps and speaker systems my self, but you simply can´t do it for a price under 300 US$ (used a lot Vifa and Visaton).

i recommended those speakers b/c i own a set lol

mine were something like 65€ meaning about 70$, really cheap i think (quality/price).

creative still have really good offers and some nice features

*  Powered subwoofer and 5 satellites ensure immersive sound projection
   * Magnetically-shielded satellites can be positioned near monitor
   * Proprietary CMSS up-mix technology gives 5.1 surround sound with 4-channel sound cards
   * Used with a 5.1 Sound Blaster® sound card delivers exciting gaming action with EAX and DirectSound 3D content
   * Amazing Dolby Digital home theatre impact when used with a 5.1 Sound Blaster sound card
   * Satellite speakers: 6 Watts RMS per channel
   * Subwoofer Power: 17 Watts RMS

ps: if you want to take full advantage be sure to have an audigy card ;)

Edited by SiMoNsAyS

Simon,

6W RMS per channel is not much, it’s good for gaming but for movies it will need more. 17W RMS subwoofer (I think they use 13cm (5")) will not provide you with a thundering bass.

If you compare it with the sub of Logitech, that one can deliver 100W RMS. Effect speakers can deliver 35W RMS. I know you have to listen to quality, and Watts don’t say any thing (it’s the max SPL on the whole range from lets say 30-17000Hz) but Logitech sweeps the floor with Creative.

Any way, Creative makes nice ones, Logitech just is better in sound, power and quality ;).

Any way, it´s up to ripken204 to make a choice...