How To Generate .cat File

I've read in other posts that you have to put kbxxxxxx.cat file in svcpack folder and this code in svcpack.inf.

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB887742.cat

Is it really necessary ?

btw I'm french and I'm searching for a dotnetfx with all sp1 and patch included package in Fr. If someone has a link ?

Thanx for your help.

Gentlemen - what good does the .cat entry under [ProductCatalogsToInstall]

do?  :huh:

I get my unattended XPProSP2 + all updates to work anyway...  :whistle:

Suggestions please.

/ SwedenXP  B)

It allows WFP to recognize that they're infact digitally signed and not consider them modifed and need replacement :)

Yeah, I can acccept that.

But the .cat file seems to be generated anyway into a catalog ie. C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB834707\update.

In there I find the KB834707.CAT. And so on for every update I have done via my svcpack.inf

/ SwedenXP slightly :blink:

Yeah, I can acccept that.

But the .cat file seems to be generated anyway into a catalog ie. C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\KB834707\update.

In there I find the KB834707.CAT. And so on for every update I have done via my svcpack.inf

/ SwedenXP slightly  :blink:

Check DLLCACHE i believe. Or simply do a search for *.CAT in the WIndows directory, you should find them elseware.

I find them where I wrote... And thats the point.

If I find them, "auto-generated", why do I have to generete them myself and add them to my svcpack.inf under [ProductCatalogsToInstall]? As mentioned in the original first post and some answers...

/ SwedenXP, still :blink:

Why would you think you have to generate them yourself? Use the ones the come with the hotfix.

And if you're installing the hotfix with the EXE, it's not necessary to put the CAT file in svcpack.inf. The only reason it's needed is when you're replacing the file on the CD. Otherwise, the hotfix EXE will take care of installing the CAT file.

And Windows stores the installed CAT files in this directory:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}

Thanks a lot for all these info.

I thought the .cat files were needed. In fact no ;) because I use the exe to set up the hotfix.

RyanVM, great work for your MSN Files ;)

Do you have a pack like your DotnetFX silent but in French please ? Or do you know a link to download it ? Thx.