Disable Windows Messenger auto sign-in

indianarchie

I use windows XP Pro, and i have both windows messenger and msn messenger 6.2. I use only MSN to chat. The problem is that whenever i sign in to the net, windows messenger automatically signs in too. I want to disable the automatic login functionality for win messenger. Are there any settings that i can configure to do so? i would prefer to solve this by tweaking the windows features. is there any software like tweakUI/ X-teq Xsetup which allows you to disable auto sign in to win messenger?

Also, how do i seperate windows messenger from outlook express 6?

The easiest way to do this is to use the Group Policy Editor.

Go to Start->Run and type in "gpedit.msc" (without quotes).

Computer Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Windows Messenger

Set both entries to "Enabled" and restart. Your Windows messenger problems should be gone.

Just a note, you'll need the "Security Accounts Manager" service running for this to work (in case you've disabled it).

Cheers!

If you aren't going to re-install after an nLiting of your XP disk, then just remove windows messenger from

Control Panel >> Add/Remove Components.

This will not uninstall messenger completely. You have to use XPAntiSpy tool to remove it from the system completely.. ;)