Win2k problems.

TiXer

I've been working on this one computer now the last 5 days. This computer has a life of its one it seems. The reason we got it in was a bluescreen. (We never got to see it. Never appeared when it stood here at our office)

This computer failed on different stages of the boot usually. We used a cd (Ultimate Bootdisk) to run some tests on the harddisk and memory, but no errors occured. So we reinstalled it. This worked out fine for a while.

First it stopped during an virusprogram installation. It couldn't find the files. Tried again and it worked.

Next it couldn't install Office. Once again it couldn't find the right files. The 3rd time of trying this worked as well.

Windows update worked like a charm. Exept for the servicepack update to upgrade IE 5.x to 6.x.. During this the computer claimed it couldn't find the net eventhoug I know that couldn't be it.

This morning when I started working on it again it wouldn't start. So we gave it up. Now I'm wondering, does anybody know what might cause these problems? We're thinking hardware malfunction but we're not shure.

btw. We changed the hdd before installing the os again. This didn't help..

In general most of us will agree that your PC have a RAM problem. But we need to be sure that it is the case. So u need to isolate the problems:

1. Anti Virus and MS Office installation problem

From where u install the software? CDs? If it was from CD, then your have 2 possible problems which could be your CDROM or the data cable that attach your CDROM to the motherboard. If the problem still occurs after replacing the CDROM or the dat cable, then it is your RAM

2. Patching IE, can not find network connection

Make sure you have configur your IE match to your internet connection. This means u check your proxy setup, and also your TCP/IP configuration. If problem still occurs, it is your RAM

Since in the end u can not start your PC again, I think it is either your RAM or your motherboard have problems.

Solution:

1. Attempt to move the RAM chip from one slot to the other available one.

Your current RAM slot might got problem. By moving to other slot, u can test whether the current RAM chip still workable.

2. Replace your RAM.

Make sure u got the compatible one with your motherboard. Check your motherboard RAM capability whether it can recognize PC2100 or PC2700 or even PC3200 RAM chipsets.

3. Replace the motherboard

It is possible that your current motherboard can not function fully to its capability.

Try it 1st. Do not buy new PC straight away. And good luck.. :hello: