ipod wont turn on after "update"

durex

So i recently recieved a notification that my 3G ipod software needs to be updated... I run the iPod updater (2005-01-11) and switch back to my browser to continue surfing...

I then get a a popup bubble from my system tray saying USB device not recognized... I look at my ipod and it has an image, which Ive never seen before, of what looks to be the end of the connector you use to connect iPod to your pc- the end that plugs into the iPod- with an arrow pointing away from it. It also makes a quiet click sound when it displays this...

Now every time I plug it into my pc connection cord... or even try to turn it on for that matter! I get the apple logo for a sec, then the image of the connector with an arrow....

I even tried doing a reset and it does the exact same thing...

What the hell did apple do to my ipod! It was working fine before all of this mess!!

Ive already posted over at ipodlounge and ipodhacks, but have always gotten great responses here so thought Id see if anyone had a clue...

Thanks!

does your ipod start?  or it just wont connect to the computer?

i havent gotten asked for an update yet...

Both... and the update is from back in mid-january, which Ive already verified did in fact come out on apples site... and I got the updater from apples site as well....

You need to plug your iPod with the "charger" inclued in the box after each update. Did u tried this ?

After looking around at a few places, im praying that this is it. I tried doing this with a usb connector.. which does not power the ipod.. im currently on the road now for work, but will give it a shot with my firewire connector when I get home.

Thanks for the replies and Ill be sure to keep you all posted.

I too have an iPod- Mini4GB, and never will I buy one again, they have too many problems. Since all it is a 4GB Hitachi MicroDrive, which means it is very prone to failure. :( Of curse I knew this before buying one, I figured a iRiver 512MB cost $300.00. And a 10GB iPod cost $300.00. So for the money iPod has it all. Just make sure you buy a warranty!! I have had to replace my iPod 3 times already! (Once because I dropped it down the stairs :blushing: ) But the other two times it just died. I take really excellent care of my iPod knowing that it is prone to failure, I don't leave it out in the heat, keep it away from moister, Only I use it, And I very carefully move it around!! And still it died twice. :realmad:

Along with putting the iPod back in the charger, try resetting it using a paper clip inserted into the back.. or do a Hard Reset by using their Software. Install Their Software to do a Hard Factory Reset, WARNING this will Delete the System Root, So it will delete, (Forget), your music!!! If all else fails, did you buy a In-store warranty? Like Best Buy:) I have had to reset mine twice, the other time Best Buy Replaced it :w00t: .

Well.. sure enough all it needed was to be plugged into a power source. Worked fine after that. Thanks again guys.

@Blam-0

Just to give you a heads up... youre comparing apples to oranges with the iriver to ipod.. iriver uses flash memory, ipods use solid state (aka hard drives).. flash memory is much more expensive than hard drives, which is why theres such a price difference.

As far as problems, this is the only one Ive had, and sure enough it was my own fault anyway. I know a bunch of ppl that have em and havent had problems... The only thing of course is its notorious battery life. Ive had it not even a year and Im down to 4-6 hours of battery life, which sucks. Other than this.. i love the friggin thing.

@Blam-0

Just to give you a heads up... youre comparing apples to oranges with the iriver to ipod.. iriver uses flash memory, ipods use solid state (aka hard drives).. flash memory is much more expensive than hard drives, which is why theres such a price difference.

Well I'am well aware of that. Good to know you haven't had any real problems.

BTW, Flash Memory is Solid State, MicroDrive's are not; MicroDrive Info

I think thats what you ment :P thanks anyway

• 1 month later...

When i load songs onto the library on itunes then plug in my ipod it doesnt recognise my ipod. I have put on songs before, and i had already put a couple on that night but then it just didnt accept that my ipod was plugged in. I then tried my friends ipod and his was recognised and the songs where then loaded on. Tried all sorts of things but it didnt work, any ideas??