Windows 2000 "Hotstream" Project

Gurgelmeyer

Hi :)

Exactly ;) - I can't really finish the Update Pack (aka "Unofficial Rollup 1") before the MS URP is out. I'm working like crazy on /integrate to make sure I get everything right - but it will take me a few more days (and nights). If, however, the MS URP gets out tomorrow, I'll do a rebuild anyway, but with the old layout/update script that does not support /integrate. But I'll re-release it with /integrate support in a few days.

@Ephemeral2 - Thanks! And yes, the IC.EXE will be part of the Option Pack, but not as a standalone component. The Option Pack will be a package with all the usual updates in one.

Btw, a while ago I did a new IC.EXE that doesn't need to register all the COM objects after a reboot (like the MS IE6 installer and my existing version does). All the components are registered by the .inf script, which is much faster. Did the same thing with DA.EXE. But I haven't prepared them for release just yet - I think the /integrate option deserves my full attention at the moment.

Best regards,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Don't be confused :rolleyes: - allow me to explain: Windows2000-URP1-x86-enu.exe is the "Update Pack". It contains (1) all non-public Post-SP4 hotfixes and (2) the MS URP1 (which contains all the security fixes) for Windows (and the built-in components). The security fixes that were released this month are not included yet. But they will be - even if they are not in the final MS URP1 they will be in mine. The "BITS 2.0" update is deliberately excluded, because I've heard some very bad things about it - and it's not (!) really a critical update, nor a security update. MSI 3.1 belongs in the Option Pack, because it's a component upgrade like IE6, WMP9 etc.

The IC.EXE includes KB887797 (December 2004 OE security rollup) and KB890923 (May 2005 IE security rollup). KB890923 has just been replaced by Microsoft.

So the answer to your question is yes - but both packages are from last month. B)

No answer, but while we're posting rhetorically :P let me say that I truly think MS is stringing us along, torturing Win2k users, because they HATE the fact that we still use this slim, streamlined, FAST running OS that is free of all of the crap in XP.

They want us to upgrade, simple. That's why no backported IE 7. Remember Service Pack 7 for NT 4? Me either... They did a rollup for SP6a, then issued something like 50 hotfixes. We'll see the same thing for Win2k. This rollup, then hotfix after hotfix after hotfix after hotfix. All the while, MS will tell us "we polled customers, and they all said that they HATED service packs, and wanted hundreds of hotfixes!!" to p*ss us off and try to force us to upgrade. We know it's not the size of the download... Just look at SP1 for Win2k3!!

Do any of you remember being polled about whether you wanted a SP7 for NT4 or not? How about a SP5 for Win2000 instead of a rollup? MS isn't really interested, and this is their way of "telling" us. Methods like yours and TommyP's of hotfix integration buy us users a lot of time and save us aggravation.

@ Gurgelmeyer

1)Would you can write out what hotfixs they are contained in your project ?

2)You plan to give versions acting with versions Windows another than English ?

3)When you plan to publish public versions Your pack?

Excellent work

dziubek

@dziubek - hi :hello:

1) I'll make a list when my Unofficial Rollup 1 (update pack) is final. At the moment I'm waiting for the MS URP to be released.

2) Maybe. But I only have the English versions of the >260 non-public post-sp4 hotfixes. If anyone can get the non-public hotfixes in other languages, I'll be happy to assemble a localized Unofficial Rollup 1.

I hope to find the time to make localized versions of the Option Pack however. But I haven't even finished the beta yet.

3) Public previews are right here: http://www.willsdownloads.com/hotstream/hotstream.php

Take care,

Gurgelmeyer B)

Some hotfixes from WU will be in the MS URP1. The MS URP supports /integrate. I'm working on /integrate support for my own URP.

IE60SP1, DX9C, WMP9, MSI31, MSXML*, MDAC*, NETFX11, etc etc (there's a more comprehensive list some pages back) including latest SPs and QFEs from WU (and a few extra ones for IE6) for those are exactly the components which I intend to join in the Option Pack. The Option Pack will support /integrate too - that's why I'm repacking everything as Type1 fixes. At the moment they are separate components, but they will be joined later on. I might keep IE6 available as a separate component too.

-Gurgelmeyer

PS - I'm not sure what to do with BITS20 (it will definately not be in my URP). Also Messenger is just about the only thing I haven't planned for the Option Pack. Should I include it?

Edited by Gurgelmeyer

Some hotfixes from WU will be in the MS URP1.  The MS URP supports /integrate.  I'm working on /integrate support for my own URP.

IE60SP1, DX9C, WMP9, MSI31, MSXML*, MDAC*, NETFX11, etc etc (there's a more comprehensive list some pages back) including latest SPs and QFEs from WU (and a few extra ones for IE6) for those are exactly the components which I intend to join in the Option Pack.  The Option Pack will support /integrate too - that's why I'm repacking everything as Type1 fixes.  At the moment they are separate components, but they will be joined later on.  I might keep IE6 available as a separate component too.

-Gurgelmeyer

PS - I'm not sure what to do with BITS20 (it will definately not be in my URP).  Also Messenger is just about the only thing I haven't planned for the Option Pack.  Should I include it?

First of all, thanks again for your hard work. :)

Second, you should definitely make BITS 2.0 available and /integratable, whether you include it in your URP or as a seperate option.

I consider Messenger to be bloatware, as I'm sure many here do. It would be nifty if you could leave it as a standalone pack - i.e., do not include it in the option pack (or at least don't make it mandatory when installing or integrating the option pack.

Third, how is the /integrate progress coming? Have you encountered any difficulties that we might be able to help you with?

Again, thanks and keep up the good work! :D