Your opinion on the best Laptop...

tarquel

Hi all

Just wanted to start a topic regarding laptops and what everyone's personal choice would be in getting one, based on performance (dur!).

Another reason is that I'm looking to get one in the coming months and as I dont deal with laptops much from day-to-day, I was wondering what everyone thought.

---

EDIT: Finally, I've saved enough and have ordered the laptop I've chosen. Take a look forward to *this* post to find out the details.

I'll leave the rest of this post to show what I was weighing up previously. Thanks everyone.

---

To give you a rough idea what I'm after, I was looking at something like the Acer TravelMate 4502WLMi or the 4502LCi but i've no idea what they are like and how reliable they are.

I like batt life of centrino's and i've heard that they are quick machines for what they are but how do they fair games-wise? I'm not talking Far Cry or anything, but games like C&C:Generals I'd like to play on it - not super high resolution either.

Anyhow, please post comments or thoughts on what you feel a great laptop is for performance, price & reliability.

PS Probably gonna get some laptop insurance [just in case my girlfriend drops it ;) hehe]

Regards,

Nathan.

Edited by it_ybd

Astalavista - i think it would take me a lot longer than a few months to have enough for one of those sony viao's hehe The cheaper of the range are good, but unfortunately, have only the Intel Extreme VGA chipset on them which of course is no good.....

....just can't justify spending that much cash on a laptop.

bart of borg sounds nice, but if it costs a bundle - unfortunately - no good. Plus my supplier, where i can get a bit of a saving, doesnt sell Asus laptops - only the usual manufacturers like hp/compaq, toshiba, acer, IBM, Sony, etc

Anyone else? anyone rate the acer laptops and which one if so?

thanks for your post newsposter

I know emachines make laptops hehe i wouldnt get one of them tho

refurbs are no good to me as if i'm gonna spend a good amount of money on a laptop, I wouldnt buy a 2nd-hand/refurbished one - just like i wouldnt with a desktop (with desktops, there really isnt a need in my case).

This is on the basis that I could buy one and 4 months down the line (or even a month), it could die on me and then I'll have spent a fair amount on something that is now of no use.

For me, it's better to buy new and in the case of a laptop, get insurance on it as it wont be sitting at home all the time - i'll be taking it to work and taking it further afield on the train - so I wouldnt want to risk something happening to it or it accidentally getting damaged, thus the need for the insurance. I may be able to get work to pay for the 3 yr insurance on it @ about £150.

I agree tho, I would spend stupid amounts on one as there isnt a need (in my case) to do so. My maximum is about £900-£1000 (GB pounds) which will take me a fair amount of months to save for.

As it will be connecting to a domain at work, it's gonna have to be XP Pro too :S altho maybe i could get a license thru work for that and just get the laptop with xp home :)

Cheers,

N.

Astalavista - i think it would take me a lot longer than a few months to have enough for one of those sony viao's hehe The cheaper of the range are good, but unfortunately, have only the Intel Extreme VGA chipset on them which of course is no good.....

if u want to get a descent sony u need to spend about 3000 dollars

my sony vaio comes with the latest ATI mobility 1600 1400 standard resolution xga

here is my next sony purchase when the prices comes down a little

http://vaio.sony.co.jp/Products/VGN-FS70B/feat1.html

My maximum is about £900-£1000 (GB pounds) which will take me a fair amount of months to save for.

As it will be connecting to a domain at work, it's gonna have to be XP Pro too :S altho maybe i could get a license thru work for that and just get the laptop with xp home :)

Cheers,

N.

1000 Pounds is about 2200.00 Canadian and you can get a pretty nice laptop around here for that much! Acer laptops are a good buy for the price, My sister bought a Acer travelmate wide screen 1.6 Centrino for 1899.00 Canadian and it has wireless - G, 80 gig drive and 512 Meg DDR with Geforce FX Go 5200 64 Meg Video.

i have a centrino based laptop and it's not excellent at games (intel baed graphics, 64MB shared memory), but it's light. I got it for $1000 from www.ibuypower.com. Its their slim series notebooks

intel extreme graphics chipset's are notoriously crap at games - thats why i'm after a radeon mobility 9700 (orr similar) based centrino machine.

Light definately a good thing tho - i'm a weakling hehe ;)

thanks for your post rendrag

Regards,

Nath

I like the Sony's - but they are too costly. you are paying more for the Name. But if you own A Sony TV, Sony PDA and a Sony Dig. Camera, they can all use the built in Sony Stick Reader. Also Sony is known for being more multi media ready. By giving you more software, made by them of curse...

But on the other hand get a HP computer if money and value is more important. You will get a good decent laptop at around $1,000.00.

Spend a little more and get a Toshiba. They make better laptops. Around $1,250.00.

Or if money is not a issue get a really nice Fujitsu laptop!!! They make some of the best PC based ones around. Light weight, clear bright screens, long battery life, good accessory’s.... $3,000.00.

Of curse almost any brands offer you more features the more $$$$ you spend!

Don't get a E-machine, Gateway, or any other no-name brand. Dell is ok I guess.

If you want a gamer Laptop, you should get it specialized by Alienware. They do both Desktop and Laptop Computers.

More info: Alienware

I also would buy a good Warranty. Laptops are Preparatory and that makes it very hard to work on them and get parts.

But really I personally wouldn't spend more $1,500.00 on a laptop if only using for Word processing, School. Since as we all know the minute you open that brand new box, it is already old and outdated.