is water coolant safe

DeltaMax

as long as you have no piping problems or leaks, you dont have to worry. even then, you shouldn't have that problem unless you bought a really really bad and old system and really messed up the connections.

to me, you shouldn't have a problem

As sven stated...

As long as you install a trustworthy brand such as Koolance etc and install it properly its not very dangerous. Just make sure to refill your water every so often...more often if you live in a very warm region.

Additioaly make sure they the water pump is working and no lines are cloged or pinched

|Drew|

I hear that using water cooling will reduce the working life of your processor.

(eg:  from 5 years to 2 years)

Is this true?

Nope

If anything it would extended the life. Due to it resulting in lower cpu temps

However, generally people that install watercooling overclock in their systems, in which case the longevity of the system could be decreased

|Drew|

interesting.. but it cost more money then regular fans...

any ideas on dry ice cooling?

The major issue with subZero cooling is it creates moisture and thats just a bad deal for electronics

There are refridgerated cooling systems out there however there is alot of work required to ensure that nothing get fried and on top of that they are VERY expensive.

|Drew|

There was a video, I think that was posted on this site that showed someone using Liquid Nitrogen to cool their computer, and resulted in them overclocking their computer successfuly to about 5.x GHz.

Yup that is true...however the problem with liquid Nitrogen cooling is its always temporary, due to the fact that it evaporates

|Drew|

water cooling works fine, but dont run it if you change hardware alot, or are impatient.

any time i make a change in the loop, i run the water cooling for at least 24 hours w/ the computer off to check for leaks.

all my water gear is in my server because a. the gear rarely changes b. im to broke to buy new stuff. dangerden wants $125us for a nv68 (6800gt/u) waterblock!!! thats just nuts. im gonna stay with my current cooling till i win the lottery ;)