c_20127.nls error after sysprep.

mjerris

its getting harder to figure out missing files

i think the the trivial soln is much better if file based imaging is employed

(like dexter.inside's or vista wim based) so that the image size will not increase

the trivial soln is to copy the full i386 dir to c:\sysprep\i386

it will be deleted after mini setup is over , since tha same files are already present elsewhere in the drive,size

of wim willnot increase

but it takes extra time to copy those files to end user s/ms

its getting harder to figure out missing files

i think the the trivial soln is much better if file based imaging is employed

(like dexter.inside's or vista wim based) so that the image size will not increase

the trivial soln is to copy the full i386 dir to c:\sysprep\i386

it will be deleted after mini setup is over , since tha same files are already present elsewhere in the drive,size

of wim willnot increase

but it takes extra time to copy those files to end user s/ms

I am already considering installation caching (like WinSxS on Vista) for my next guide update :sneaky:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still a bit lost. What files does it ask for after sysprep due to nliteing the cd? Is there a way to point it to somewhere they already exist so it doesn't have to ask for it?

What I've done for the past year or 2 is copy the whole nlited cd to c:\xpsp2 after installation and I point it there when it asks for the files and it works. But why it doesn't look there already I dunno, in the registry I already add it into the "Installation Sources", "SourcePath" & "ServicePackSourcePath" under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup as "C:\\XPSP2" and as "SourcePath" under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion as "C:\\XPSP2\\I386"

Right now I'm more worried about trying to make a universal image and struggling to see the shortest simplest way :/

• 4 months later...

.NLS.... what does it stand for?

I've tried looking in the driver folder I used, searched it with PSPad and it found nothing.

A search on google for the extension definition showed me two things......

National Language Support

and.....

A Trojan

So.... to those who have this issue, did you by chance remove all the language packs except English, like I did?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to add that I am also having this problem, with version 1.4.9.1

I started out with the XP SP3 volume license media from MSDN, added only the textmode Intel ICH9 Desktop SATA driver via nlite.

Once I was done setting up the system, I ran "sysprep -quiet -mini -reseal" to prepare the image. Upon reboot I ran into the error. However, commenting out the the line "InstallFilesPath=C:\sysprep\i386" did the trick! Seems to work OK now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

i have written i quick autoit script to copy the missing files, it reads from a txt file, so it is easy to add new files.

#Region;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#AutoIt3Wrapper_outfile=fix-sysprep.exe
#EndRegion;**** Directives created by AutoIt3Wrapper_GUI ****
#cs ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

AutoIt Version: 3.2.12.1
Author: mastrboy

Script Function:
copy script to fix sysprep

#ce ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

; Script Start - Add your code below here
#include <file.au3>

$file = FileOpenDialog("Choose txt file with missing files", @ScriptDir, "TXT file (*.txt)", 1)
$i386_source = FileSelectFolder("Select i386 source folder","",2 + 4)
$i386_destination = FileSelectFolder("Select sysprep i386 destination folder","",2 + 4)

$file = FileOpen($file, 0)
; Check if file opened for reading OK
If $file = -1 Then
MsgBox(0, "Error", "Unable to open file.")
Exit
EndIf

; Read in lines of text until the EOF is reached
While 1
$line = FileReadLine($file)
If @error = -1 Then ExitLoop
$file_to_copy = $i386_source&"\"&$line
If FileExists($file_to_copy) Then
FileCopy($file_to_copy,$i386_destination)
Else
$file_to_copy = StringTrimRight ($line,1)
$file_to_copy = $i386_source&"\"&$file_to_copy&"_"
If FileExists($file_to_copy) Then
FileCopy($file_to_copy,$i386_destination)
Else
_FileWriteLog(@ScriptDir & "\fix-sysprep-log.log","Could not find file: "&$line)
EndIf
EndIf
Wend

FileClose($file)

You can find a list of missing files here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=681291

Edited by mastrboy

• 4 months later...

This error has been ongoing for awhile for us as well. We're using an nLited XP SP3 image via RIS without sysprep.

The following two server-side changes allowed the RIS installation to proceed without user intervention :

1] Create the c:\sysprep\i386 folder and put the above-listed files in it. The full UNC for the folder should be :

"\\server\reminst\setup\language\images\image name\i386\mirror1\userdata\sysprep\i386" (swap "language" and "image name" for your specifics).

2] Change two lines in the RIPREP.SIF file associated with the image as follows :

[unattended]

OemPreinstall = Yes

InstallFilesPath = c:\sysprep\i386

Restart WDS/RIS and you are good to go. Thanks to everyone here for the help in resolving this. I don't have to keep checking back on workstations during imaging again! :D

• 4 weeks later...

(Found this discussion via a google search for c_20127.nls)

Unfortunately this NLS error continues to occur, with all the latest XP SP3, Sysprep, and nLite software.

It seems that for the latest and greatest hardware that lacks a floppy drive, it is next to impossible to install a SATA hard drive controller driver via the normal Windows XP setup process, and therefore next to impossible to install XP in place of Vista.

XP text-setup cannot recognize USB flash drives as a source of drivers, nor can it recognize USB keyboards which are not being managed by the BIOS, since the XP text-setup is not a full-fledged plug 'n play hardware environment.

XP text-setup also doesn't seem to like USB floppy drives either if the system BIOS isn't handling the device. Short of hanging a floppy drive out the side of the computer in question there is virtually no way to install XP on a newer computer without driver support for the SATA storage device included within the XP boot image.

nLite appears to be the only option available in this situation, since only nLite offers the capability to preinstall textsetup device drivers into a custom, bootable Windows XP image.

Microsoft apparently does not want anything to do with XP anymore so there will be no changes to XP text-setup, for storage driver installations from devices other than the nonexistent drive a: in newer computers.

If anyone can suggest an alternate Microsoft-approved driver-preinstall option for XP I would love to try it. The most logical option is to build a sysprep image on another computer, and somehow preinstall the text-mode driver into that image before applying it to the new computer. But it does not appear possible to preinstall a text-setup driver for hardware which does not exist in the source computer that is providing the sysprep image for the target machine.

Note that trying to install a storage driver via Sysprep \i386\$OEM$ does NOT work because the image fails to even start up, due to a catch-22 lack of storage drivers when the sysprepped image kicks off on the new hardware. It never even gets to the point of running sysprep text-setup without a STOP 7B - inaccessible boot device.

- Dale Mahalko

DMahalko, your post made me curious. I looked at the NLDRV folder. It is in my AMD64 folder but I assume it is in the I386 folder for 32 bit XP. It contains the .INF, .SYS and .CAT files from the Text Mode driver I included via nLite. I want to look some more, but perhaps this leads to a way to do this without nLite. I am also curious why you seem to be inclined to not want to use nLite? In your last sentence you said "STOP 7B - inaccessible boot device." Do you have a SATA attached optical drive you are trying to install FROM? Some have reported problems with this - search this forum. I do agree with you that MS (and box manufacturers) are making it extremely difficult to install XP over Vista. I would expect it to get even worse when 7 is out. Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Here is a good tutorial on manually integrating text mode drivers into a Windows CD. John.

Edited by johnhc

• 6 months later...
I am also curious why you seem to be inclined to not want to use nLite?

It's very simple why I can't use nLite. The images are to be used in a school / corporate environment, which is against the nLite licensing rules.

The specific problem I am seeing is with many newer Dell computers, like the Optiplex GX360 and 960. These use the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" for SATA and RAID (iastor.sys).

If you have no traditional floppy drive wired with a 34-pin cable to the floppy connector on the motherboard, you can't get XP setup to find the install files. USB keys don't work and USB floppy drives don't work.

As you may have noticed with the prevalence of 2+ gig USB memory sticks, floppy drives are now an utterly obsolete technology to include in a new school or business computer, but leaving it out makes the initial XP install extremely difficult since when XP first came out floppies were standard in every machine.

I was pressed for time this past summer doing a school upgrade, so I had bought a single new Dell 960 with a floppy drive, to create the XP image for another 200 to be ordered a little later without floppy drives. I suspect the floppy drive in this one machine might never get used again after finishing my initial XP install of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager.

The manual driver installation method still leaves me with a problem: the CD is not bootable. The process:

1. XPSP2 CD, copy entire CD to a temp folder on hard drive

2. Manually slipstream XP3 into temp folder

3. Manually add Intel Matrix Storage Manager into temp folder

4. Make a data CD from temp folder...

Oh the CD won't boot, so this does not work.

May we know which program you are using to burn the CD? Some of them have an option to create a bootable CD, and some programs also have an option to create a bootable ISO, which you can then burn. The most comon advice I found through search is to burn at lower speeds. Another good advice is to use a rewritable CD/DVD which you can test against a virtual machine.

Let us know about your progress.

Cheers