Bootscreen Problem....

I have disabled auto updates, and I will never update xp again as long as sp2 exists, so I don't really care if MS does release a kernel update. And even if they did and for some reason I was forced to upgrade to the new kernel, it only takes 5 minutes to export/import the necessary resources from my old kernel to the new one with ResHacker. So it's no big deal to me either way.

No need. My system is tight as a virgin according to several online security test sites like grc.com. I'm behind a wired NAT-equipped router and running Norton Internet Security 2005, Ad-Aware/Ad-Watch SE 1.05 Pro, Spybot/TeaTimer, Firefox and Thunderbird. Plus, universal plug 'n play, dcom, windows autoupdate and a couple other nasty security holes and certain ports have been disabled. I don't have any problems with any sort of online threats. There's no other reason for updating windows besides online security, and I got that under control without Microsoft's help.

I tried sp2 when it first came out and it caused nothing but problems with some games and cd/dvd copy apps, networking, and online security with sp2 is still a big joke. I have personally watched while IE was being hijacked out of the blue on a fully updated sp2 system on my network. Toolbars and spyware were installed as I watched and the really sad part is that IE was open but no pages had been opened yet. The comp in question was also running norton internet security 2004 but since it's not my comp, it's security wasn't nearly as tight as my comp is.

So I ask you this: Why should I update XP beyond sp1 and the handful of hotfixes I use?

Give me 1 good reason.

Don't know where buletov got his info but it's dead wrong. My info came from this forum and my own experience.

I don't know why, but you can't just replace ntoskrnl.exe with an edited copy cause windows will lock up everytime during install.

BTW, hyperthreading has absolutely NOTHING to do with a custom bootscreen not working. HT is strictly processor based, not software.

since my modified bootscreen work flawlessly without editing boot.ini i can't be wrong

if you only modify one version of kernel, it will work on a first reboot, but will be replaced by a wrong version of a kernel before second, an by this cause the system halt while booting

after editing all kernels, halt problem was solved

BTW, hyperthreading has absolutely NOTHING to do with a custom bootscreen not working. HT is strictly processor based, not software.
Ignorance, pure and simple.

How do you think XP is able to distinguish and able to use both processors? XP needs a different kernel.

I don't know why, but you can't just replace ntoskrnl.exe with an edited copy cause windows will lock up everytime during install.

You can replace them in the CAB, however you have to match up the versions exactly. Ohterwise the system will halt.

on your cd!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO THEY R NOT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

during install of xp the only drive atached to the pc is my sata c drive

it shows windows boot after setup when i add my other drives, then it shows my custom boot

why does it do that? so its not depending on processor type

actually SyntaxError method is safe.but still u can edit ntoskrnl and make cab file and use.it will work.

u said (borbomotsalo) progress bar is stopping,and os is not working.

try other virtual machines to test ur iso.

bcz i had same problem and i solved it by shifting from vmware to virtual pc(it may work)

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive this thread, but I have a problem I can't sort out.

I edited ntoskrnl.exe with Resource Hacker to make a new bootscreen and it worked fine until I did some major cleaning up a couple of weeks ago. So I re-edited it again, and replaced the one in System32 using "Replacer". But it does not show up when I boot up. The one in dllcache is also my edited version.

I did a search for ntoskrnl.exe and there are 16 copies of it. Lots are in LastGood and LastGood.tmp, which I suppose is normal, but something I had not previously noticed is some that are in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\xxxxxxxx (a bunch of numbers).

The odd thing is that none of the ntoskrnl.exe files on my PC have the bitmaps necessary for what I'm seeing when I boot up, namely the bottom left and right, which say © Microsoft Corporation 1985-2000 and Microsoft.

None of them are there, and in their place is simply a black bitmap, which is what I did. But I never copied them to all these folders. Which kernel is it starting up? I can't find the **** thing. Any help?

Cheers.