Bootscreen Problem....

I know I'm in a board for setup screens but i found the problem below while i was testing my new setup screen in my Virtual PC so....Everything was ok...my personal bootscreen came up,then my setup screen and when the installation finished the VPC rebooted and the original M$ boot logo came up and stuck there....the progress bar stopped and nothing else happened.

I 'm wondering:

-Is there any switch except *DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore* to my unnattend file that i 've forgotten?

-My ntoskrnl.exe is the reason?My windows xp in my desktop pc are starting normally with this kernel...

-I ve also added :

calc.ex_

explorer.ex_

main.cp_

moricons.dl_

msgina.dl_

mspaint.ex_

mydocs.dl_

notepad.ex_

shell32.dl_

and uxtheme.dl_

Any Suggestions?

Regards....

~`BorBoMoTSaLo~`

you also need to modify two old kernels in I386 folder...

can you list these two older kernel filenames m8? might have a crack at this as I eperienced the same thing just yesterday. I guess it would have something to do with the different versions of the kernel, but I never thought you could just mod all four (makes sense though).. just these two older ones you mentioned... what are they named?

cheers ;)

Editing several files to get a custom bootscreen installed is not needed. Just edit ntoskrnl.exe then rename it to OEMkrnl.exe and place the file in $OEM$\$$\System32. This way the file will be copied over to %windir%\system32 during install.

Then in your RunOnceEx.cmd file at the end just before the final reboot, place the follow lines edited for your situation:

REG ADD %KEY%\028 /VE /D "Custom Bootscreen" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\028 /V 1 /D "cmd /c bootcfg.exe /RAW /A /Kernel=OEMKrnl.exe /ID 1" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\028 /V 2 /D "cmd /c bootcfg.exe /Timeout 0" /f

This edits the boot.ini file so windows will use your modified kernel file. Using this method, you will not see your custom bootscreen until the final reboot. This method works fine for xp home and pro, sp1 and sp2, any combination. Just in case you didn't know, you should use ntoskrnl.exe from the same install it's going to be used on, for example: if you are installing xp home with sp2 integrated, then you need to use the file from that. A sp2 kernel may not work on a sp1 install and I know for a fact that a xp pro\sp1 kernel will lock up a xp home\sp2 comp real quick.

Don't know where buletov got his info but it's dead wrong. My info came from this forum and my own experience.

I don't know why, but you can't just replace ntoskrnl.exe with an edited copy cause windows will lock up everytime during install.

BTW, hyperthreading has absolutely NOTHING to do with a custom bootscreen not working. HT is strictly processor based, not software.

well, from what I learned there are four different kernels, with/without HT and one for systems with less or more than 4Gb of RAM.

That's if my memory serves me correct, and I'm busy looking into SP2 cab file now and have spotted what I think are four kernels...

ntkrnlmp.exe

ntkrnlpa.exe

ntkrnpamp.exe

ntoskrnl.exe

..now, are these the ones that need modded bluetov?

I did exactly the same as the poster above, used my copy of the kernal and tried booting into virtual envoronment, but it would kinda make sence it not working as mentioned above, the virtual environment doesn't use hyper threading (I do too).

you don't need to mod the SP2.CAB files.

Just edit and use bootcfg. Sure you won't get the logo at first startup, but you will from then on. You'll also avoid a nasty little thing MS puts for when it updates the kernels :P

the ones with PA in the filename are the 4GB and over kernels.

MP = multiprocessor.

Don't think so. Windows will lock up during install at the bootscreen everytime if you replace the original ntoskrnl.exe file on the cd. Not sure why it works when you manually replace the same file in safemode on a finished install , though.

Don't think so. Windows will lock up during install at the bootscreen everytime if you replace the original ntoskrnl.exe file on the cd. Not sure why it works when you manually replace the same file in safemode on a finished install , though.

maybe because there's four different versions. 2 members have confirmed this in this thread alone

...I have now extracted the contents of sp2.cab to a folder and modded the four files I mentioned above. I compessed them back using winrar, but now when I run the install, it reports an error reading a file.. p4.sys or something like that.

I've now looked in the original sp2.cab file and this file doesn't exist in there either??

..anyone have any useful suggestions? thanks

not to be mean or anything...

I shall not have any remorse when MS releases and updated kernel and you have to go through the process all over, and quite possible the hotfix/servicepack won't even instal because of the custom kernel.