Help with IE downloading

sanfordsteve

I am new to this forum and hope I am in the correct area. I have a simple question about IE 6.0. I was downloading a series of files(Saving them to the hard drive) I got tired of telling it to Save Vs. OPen and unselected the "always ask when opening a file of this type" check box. Now when I try to download I don't have the opportunity to save the file, it tries to open it which doesn't work. All the files have the same file extension, isn't there a way to have IE allow me to choose to save or run?

Thanks STeve

I am new to this forum and hope I am in the correct area.  I have a simple question about IE 6.0.  I was downloading a series of files(Saving them to the hard drive)  I got tired of telling it to Save Vs. OPen and unselected the "always ask when opening a file of this type" check box.  Now when I try to download I don't have the opportunity to save the file, it tries to open it which doesn't work.  All the files have the same file extension, isn't there a way to have IE allow me to choose to save or run?

Thanks STeve

You can go into your cache and copy them from there if need be. If they all have the same extension and you have your cache cleared before you start, then you can group them in the cache by extension and copy the group.

DL

Go into 'Tools', 'Internet Options', 'General' tab,'Temporary Internet files', 'Settings', 'View Files' and then you will have the cache window open. Copy and paste the files you want to another folder. Double clicking on the files in cache will open the website up again.

DL

Welcome, SS!!

Get to "file types"-- depending on OS, thru: Start/settings/folder options or Exploder/View/Folder options or double-click MyComputa...

scroll down & highlight 'Applicacation', click 'Edit', check 'cofirm open after download', apply/ok/.

Optionally, you could also look at each file type and do the same for anything else you download un-archived & which you don't want to auto-open:

just in case, check these:

batch

cabinet

setup

and as well scroll down to the name of your Archiving program(s) and check that-- if they're auto-associated with archive file types / auto-enabled in IE. Otherwise you may have to look for those file types individually.

Depending on your archiving app & download manager-- you could maybe do all this from within their settings...

Good luck......

Thanks for the help

I went through My Computer, change settings, folder options,File types.

I found the file extension of the files I want to download, tried to change the settings, didn't work. So I deleted the file type, then I downloaded one of the files, assosciated it with the correct program and then added the file extension back to the File type window.

Now I can save these files with the download.

Thanks for everyones assistance.

Steve :thumbup

Thanks for the help

I went through My Computer, change settings, folder options,File types.

I found the file extension of the files I want to download, tried to change the settings, didn't work.  So I deleted the file type, then I downloaded one of the files, assosciated it with the correct program and then added the file extension back to the File type window.

Now I can save these files with the download.

Thanks for everyones assistance.

Steve :thumbup

Good tip Sanford. :)