Restarting and Hanging AMD comp

Mr. Spock

I got some strange problem with a AMD computer of 1400 Mhz

Out of itself it's restarting or just hang in windows.

It has a 30G HDD with no errors or virus (checked that)

It has 512MB DDR memory wich has no troubles as far as i know

It had a power supply of 250 Watt but i chanced it to 300 Watt and now it even don't want to start up.

Can you guys give me any advice where to look for ?

Any help would be welcome

Thx in advance

Looks like a heat problem to me.

Try to clean your computer inside from dust.

Then check your CPU cooler. Also check your frag tape/cooling paste between CPU and cooler. Most of the time the frag tape/cooling past gets old and need to replaced.

The AMD 1400 is KNOWN for it heat, it´s almost the "hottest" CPU from AMD ;) .

(Ik weet wel zeker dat het de koeling is, het beestje is al zeker 4 jaar of zow :P )

@puntoMX

That's where i was thinking off to from the start i got that computer for repear.

Still if i finnely able to put on the computer and let it run for 24 hours in bios mode then there is no trouble (the temp got up to around 47), also when i format it, then it keeps on running for more then 24 hours in windows itself.

So i still wonder if it can't be anything else.

(LoL ik verwachte geen nederlands :) )

When i format it i do a total clean install so indeed even the drivers.

I will try that memtest to see if anything gonna come out of that.

I have treid already to let it run with almost no hardware conected only the floppy and the videocard Dimm and it kept on working in bios mode.

So it's no losse or old solder.

When i first got it the format the disk wrong so from the 30G there was just around 6G avalible after checking the HD with a test program of the factory it checked out well so i made it a whole HDD again and then i was able to run Windows at least 24 hours without any trouble. even was able to restarted it many times.

Yhen i put it out and say 24 hours later i put it on again the trouble start again restarting out of nothing in windows even when it was just starting up from the bios to go to windows it restarted, and even when i was in the bios itself it restarted or just hang in the bios.

So yes it's indeed a strange problem and i hope to find the answer on it cause it's for a little freind of mine who i really like he can become one of a smartkid :)

It could be a RAM chip problem. They are very hard to diangose and programs like memtest86 do NOT always work.

Try using 1 RAM chip and try different slots with it, if the crashes increase or decrease it is definitely RAM related.

Also Prime95 is a great program which will stress your CPU + RAM and find problems very easily.

A little update i finnely was able to let it work a little oke :(

So i installed sisisoftsandra.

It didn't gave me any big errors though still one kept on returning and even when i chanced the memory

It says that all memorybanks are full but i'm just using 1 DDR stick of 512MB

You can also put SDRAM in to it cause it have 2 DDR slots and 2 SDRAM slots the still it come up with the same error.

Strange is also when i put the DDR memory into the second slot and start it up i get as expected a error beep from the motherboard then when i put it back in slot 1 the computer keeps on working for a while then when i start the computer up latter again the same problems are there again.

So somehow it has to be in the memory arry but what exactly cause i have treid 2 types of memory both with the same error

The motherboard is Jetway 867AS-H

So i wonder where to look for

Thx for the help though ;)

@puntoMX (marzelaar :P )

Sounds like your motherboard chipset memory controller is pooched.....If differnt memory does the same thing, the motherboard is all that is left......you can try a BIOS update, if one is available but, I highly doubt it will change anything. I think your buying a new motherboard.....

You know not to use SDRAM and DDR together I hope :P .

Did it always work with that 512MB DIMM? If yes, then start to look for a new motherboard of a good brand, like ASUS.

I think that the voltages are not 100% of that motherboard. So, let´s say the DIMM needs 2.6V but now it´s giving an unstable 2.6V or even 2.4V for example. Can you see how high the voltage is in your BIOS?

@puntoMX Nope i'm not the smartest but that i know :rolleyes:

Vcore switching between 1.74 and 1.76V

Vcc 3.3 stable 3.3V

+5 V stable 5V

+12 V switching between 12.82 amd 12.88

-12 V stable -12.28

VBAT(V) stable 3.26

5VSB(v) Stable 5.07

It's a award bios from 2003

Is it possible that the unstable +12v and Vcore giving this trouble ?

Looks normal, but the DIMM you are using is for 2.5-2.6V. try yto see the voltage with SiSoft Sandra if your BIOS is not showing it. (strange that it´s even crashing with a 3.3V DIMM (PC133)).

Any way, to test it with an other mobo is the most expensive and hard way to find out, but I think it´s the only way.

Can´t help you with that... :S

PS, is that a mobo with ALI chipset? Site is working very well :P but can´t find the mobo info any more...

Your voltage readings are well within normal ranges.....I suspect your RAM voltages will also be fine. Jetway are not a great quality board, although, they are getting better. I'd still suspect the mobo but, I have not seen you post a temp reading for your CPU yet....Have you got any figures? Temps too high will also cause problems like these......47 Deg C in BIOS mode means nothing since the CPU is not really working at all. You'l see a much higher increase when it's actually working.....

when i have been using it for a while with not doing much on it it becoms around 47 degrees.

Also when i do the burn in test (stress test) of sisoft Sandra then after the second time it restarted so that make something clear i will put a program on it for the heat testing and see what happens while i do the stress test again.

Also gonna get some new heating pasta to see if that will help.

Thx so far but if anybody have new ideas of what it can be i'm always willing to look further and learn more.