One PC, Six Hard Drives, 37 OSes!

XPerties

I was reading this and was amazed....

This rig doesn’t have Plexiglas portals or sport a fancy-pants paint job, but behind its plain-Jane exterior are no fewer than 37 operating systems! Make that 53 if you count the DOS window managers.

The rig’s audacious architect is 18-year-old Richard Robbins—an Eagle Scout, all-state jazz drummer, and tireless OS enthusiast who drove with parental units and PC all the way from Southern Utah to our offices in Brisbane, CA just so we could verify the authenticity of his creation. Is this guy nuts? No. But he does confess that he launched the Menagerie project specifically because an online computer expert said it couldn’t be done.

All the OSes are loaded onto six hard drives, and divvied across five separate boot menus with the help of a freely distributed bootloader called XOSL. The Menagerie features four 5400rpm Maxtors, one 7200rpm Maxtor, and one 7200rpm Western Digital. The rig’s Gigabite GA6VXE7+ motherboard, 1GHz P-III, Promise PCI IDE ATA/100 controller, and ATI Rage 128 graphics were surprisingly OS-friendly. A 350-watt PSU powers everything.

Read the rest @ maximumpc

WOW..thats **** nuts! i have had my days with dual boot...im tired of it..no point...i just make 2 rigs! hehe i think it better that way....that way u have nack up rig as well as u can designate each rig for particular things, and that way you can have the best of both worlds!

Non the less pretty sweet that the kid maaged to get 37 oses on there...i dident know there were that many around.....

=Drew

Hey, he is an Eagle Scout, has a girlfriend, and still found the time to do all that. I read that article over a month ago and was impressed with his determination and drive to go beyond the norm.

Most Cool :)