Getting New HD

gamehead200

I've decided to install a knew HD into my old computer. Probably one of those Maxtor 80GB ATA/133. The problem is that I don't know if my computer is ATA/133 compatible. Is there a way to find this out? My computer was bought in '98. Right now, I have another 20GB Maxtor, but I don't know if its ATA/133. I got it last year. Any ideas of how I can figure this out?

You can run that ATA133 at the speed it was made for but you have to buy a controller card.I have installed them and set them up on older mobo's and it is like putting in any card.You will probably have to disable the Primary IDE setting in bios to run it.

If the system what bought in 98, theres no way that its going to run that Hd at 133, but 133 is backwards compatable with udma 66 which was the standard at the time...so the Hd will just revert back to those burst speeds...

So Drew, your saying that it'll work just the way it is. Plug it in, and that's it?

If the system what bought in 98, theres no way that its going to run that Hd at 133, but 133 is backwards compatable with udma 66 which was the standard at the time...so the Hd will just revert back to those burst speeds...

So Drew, your saying that it'll work just the way it is. Plug it in, and that's it?

yep

Yea gamehead, it will just defalt to your Mobos max peak burst speed. If you want to take advantage to the ATA133, then get yourself a Ata133 card, like zipp said, and you will get the max burst rate of the Hd.....but it will work regardless..

:)

=Drew

This is interesting because I have 4 Maxtor ATA133 HDDs and if I put them in an ATA100 system the 133 drive is not seen. System reports no hard drives found. I have to run them through a 133 card.....

I thought it would work like you all are saying but I found it not to be true. I wonder if some HDDs will no work backward?

Tinker, do you mean that the BIOS or Windows does not detect the HDs?

First step in detecting the hard drive(s) is through the BIOS 'automatic' HD settings( of course you know that). Manual settings cab be unreliable on 'some older mobos, but I know you have the new Intel mobo, so that is not a concern. What is a concern is maybe the mobo is defective! Easy way to be sure is to watch the cold boot settings. If the result is "Not Found" (depends on your BIOS manufacturer for the terminology) then I would suspect a faulty BIOS or faulty onboard IDE controller. Maybe setting the BIOS to default settings and tweaking it afterwards will find a solution. Wish I was there to experiment with it. It is possible to Flash the BIOS and sometimes a faulty Flash will setup just fine, but actually have faults. A new Flash may be in order?

Now if the four HDs are the only devices on the two IDE channels then they all should be deteced by the BIOS. Do you have any other devices sharing the two channels? What about the CD-ROM drive, etc? How are they configured? I know you have them on a controller card now - but how were they configured before?

But, you did the right thing in the long run, a 133 controller card is what I would use for anything with more than two HDs. Connecting the CD-ROM, CD-Writer, DVD Player, etc to the two primary IDE channels does free up some data paths and keeps it all free of congestion or bottleknecks. Controller cards can cost as little as $15.00 if you shop around and thats a small price to pay for optimal performance.

Hey bro, sell em and get SCSI :)

Well Conan and MSNwar those are very good points. Yes Conan they are attached to a Promise FastTrack 2000 RAID card that works with ATA 133. However when I first got the drives I had a need to format one via the IDE bus and the system (mother board at the time was a ASUS P4T) would not see the drive.

Settings in the BIOS were set to "Auto Detect" and the HDD was the master on IDE 0. I tried to and did boot from a set of Windows 98 floppy disk. When the boot program set it's self up it did not find the HDD...

I have not tried a single ATA 133 on an IDE from the Intel mother board as of yet.

If memory servers me correctly the BIOS did see the HDD, I think. :)

OK, so I guess I'm gonna get the 60GB or 80GB, but on the store's website, it says that for the system requirements, you need an ATA 66/100/133 compatible system. I have a 20GB Maxtor right now that I got last year. I'm not sure what it is. Could anyone take a guess?