Right Click to Create ISO

Okay here are exact details about my problem:

Let's say you want run a certain program on a folder, and you achieve by adding this reg-file:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\do_something]
@="Do something on this folder"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\do_something\command]
@="c:\\tools\\do_something.exe \"%1\""

This works, just the right-click on folder and click the "Do something on this folder" option.

So now replace c: with %SystemDrive% (either in the registry or in the reg-file and import it again.. doesn't matter), because tools is copied to the systemdrive.

And now it DOESN'T work anymore? It says access denied. Maybe you should try this yourself to reproduce the problem.

Okay, so it's nothing to do with my iso thing then.....

You need to register data entry as REG_EXPAND_SZ not a REG_SZ, unfortunately a reg file is incapable of doing this in its current format. Your reg file would be in hex(2) format and look like this:

@="Do something on this folder"
@=hex(2):25,53,79,73,74,65,6d,44,72,69,76,65,5c,74,6f,6f,6c,73,5c,64,6f,5f,73,\
 6f,6d,65,74,68,69,6e,67,2e,65,78,65,20,22,25,31,22,00

You would have to create this key and export it to reg if you wanted it in this format, otherwise I would suggest making the key in cmd or inf format.

Hope this helps

There are two small utilities - cdburn.exe and dvdburn.exe for w2k3 if I'm not mistaken. Could anybody write a script to write a resulting iso-file on cdrom or dvdrom with mouse right click context menu? Unfortunately I'm not so techy and I don't know how to keep WinRar association with iso-files (I find it very convinient to look into iso-file by opening it with WinRar).

Regards,

Oleg 2

There are two small utilities - cdburn.exe and dvdburn.exe for w2k3 if I'm not mistaken. Could anybody write a script to write a resulting iso-file on cdrom or dvdrom with mouse right click context menu? Unfortunately I'm not so techy and I don't know how to keep WinRar association with iso-files (I find it very convinient to look into iso-file by opening it with WinRar).

Regards,

Oleg 2

@Oleg_II

I'm not sure how those utilities work but you could try this out if you like. Download the zip below and extract the contents into a folder. Add to that folder CDIMAGE.EXE and xpBoot.img, if you dont have them they are in both my previous zips. Right click the inf and choose install. Now right click on a folder, try one of the two new options and let us know.

If it doesn't work, then make sure that your Windows Resource Kits\Tools folder is in your PATH, if not you could try adding %ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\ in front of cdburn and dvdburn in the two cmd files. The latter would only work if the two utilities, dont have other dependencies from their parent folder.

[Edit]

Attachment removed

[/Edit]

Edited by Yzöwl

Yzöwl,

Thank you very much for the attention. But the idea was to add the shell extantion for iso-files "Write on CD" on right click (sorry, maybe I'm not too clear with my English, I'm trying to say that when I right-click on any iso-file I'd like to have an option to write this file on cdrom, the same way like WinRar have an option "Add to archive").

I have this for htm-html files but can't do it for iso-files:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; "open with WebCraft" on right mouse click
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit with WebCraft\command]
@="c:\\appz\\webcraft\\WebCraft.exe \"%1\""
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit with WebCraft\command]
@="c:\\appz\\webcraft\\WebCraft.exe \"%1\""

And I'd like not to change the default way of opening iso-files with WinRar, just add an option for this kind of files. If it can be done we would only need 3 exe-files to handle all data (including boot data) cd/dvd-creation and cd/dvd-burning: cdimage.exe, cdburn.exe and dvdburn.exe. And of course, tho cmd-files with commands (cdburn and dvdburn can erase media, so this option could be added to the burning-batch file too). Or if someone want to use other command-line utility he could just change according the batch-file and add his utility to the system.

Best regards,

Oleg 2

Thank you Yzöwl and anyone else who contributed to MakeISO I use it all the time...but I do have a problem.

Is it possible to make an ISO (doesn't matter what kind) of my CD-ROM/DVD-ROM,...

I'd really like that option to be added so we could somehow select that path to which the ISOs are made.

yes, but u would have to edit it manually to add the drive letters of your dvd/cd, i dont know vbs so i couldnt make something to do that unattended :P the code for the cdburn.exe i believe is on that page irefrenced to a few pages back where i got the idea for the right click iso..

@coucou

Okay, this is a very basic routine, i.e no real error trapping etc. but if you're currently using makeiso, you should have all the additional files you need.

Download the zip, extract it, copy the cmd file to %SystemRoot%\system32; then rightclick on the inf to install. Now try it out

If it doesn't work, then make sure that your Windows Resource Kits\Tools folder is in your PATH, if not you could try adding %ProgramFiles%\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\ in front of cdburn and dvdburn in the cmd file. You could also of course copy CDBURN.EXE and DVDBURN.EXE to %SystemRoot%\system32. Those methods will of course only work if the two utilities, dont have other dependencies from the rktools folder.

If it works fine for you, great, if not, get some additional help with any errors and tidying the cmd file.

tryit.zip

Yzöwl

Thank you for this! But the script suppose that I make an iso-file and then burn it. And if I already have an iso-file from somewhere and want just to burn it?

By the way, cdburn can erase the media and it would be useful to start it with the choice to write an image on cd or to erase a cd.

Cdburn and dvdburn are independant and very small, they can be added directly to system32 (in fact I have Windows 2000 Professional and took both from Resourse Kit of Windows 2003 Server if I'm not mistaken).

If we can get them working through right click - only a few KB will replace any other GUI-powered software for creating images and burning then on CDs.

Best regards,

Oleg II

Oleg_II

I think you're looking at something like

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso]
@="ISO_Image"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ISO_Image\Shell\BurnISO\Command]
@="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\cmd\\burniso.cmd \"%1\""

to add the BurnISO option to the context menu whenever you Rclick on an ISO image. The path to your burniso.cmd is arbitrary and depends on where you store the file.

The burniso.cmd should contain the commands for burning with cdburn.exe. Something like

@echo off
SET FILE=%1
TITLE Burning ISO Image of %FILE%
cdburn.exe G: %FILE% -speed max
pause
exit

Hope this helps. I'm not very comfortable with making INF files, sorry.

MCT and Yzöwl

Thanks for the DOIso. Very nice tool for those who make uA ISOs daily :)