Are Macs really worth the price?

gamehead200

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are Macs really worth the price?

• Yes!
    • Hell no!
    • Don't know!
    • Maybe...

I was looking through the newspaper today, and I found a store that sold Macs. One of the computers they were selling, sold for $5199.99 CAN :) ! I seriously couldn't believe this. It had 120GB HD, SuperDrive (CD-RW/DVD-R), and the rest of the stuff. Here's the link to the Apple Store page: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO....3.1.1.0?107,80 . I find these prices to be crazy. So, are Macs really worth the price?

In my opinion they arent even worth it at 1/4th of the prices shown there, I used to work with em, about a year ago on my last school (networking mostly) and I have no clue what they can do that a pc can't do. A pc can do allot more infact, first off all I've heard people say that the GUI is supposed to look better, they are right (when comparing a stock installation). But you can get a XP desktop to look better anyway so there's not really a point in that. Anyway, in performance, I really don't know allot about the mhz on macs, but IMO they are not really slow. I seen it run a game once, believe it was some disney game. It ran ok not much difference with a pc. These are the things that I don't like at all about em: gotta get all special "MAC OS" software, for anything such as games, gfx editing, sound editing, EVERYTHING! , the locking up sucks a** too, the commercials that claim that MAC's are better then pc's n s*** like that.., special packing tools (like zip on a pc) they have something different (not sure what it's called anymore), also the hardware like some of the mp3 players only work on MAC-OS. Think that's about it. The only thing that I like about some of em that they look pretty fresh.

Don't waste your money on a classroom toy like that!

special packing tools (like zip on a pc) they have something different (not sure what it's called anymore)

I think the packing tool you are referring to is Stuffit Expander which saves the compressed files into a ".sit" file. I think this is available for Windows too. But I've already used a ZIP compressor on a MAC. Its exactly the same! w00t

also the hardware like some of the mp3 players only work on MAC-OS

The iPod is pretty bad for the price (5GB for $500 CAN). All it has is a Hard Drive and a little screen and the buttons. What's so special about that? Something else that's bad about the iPod is that it only works on MACs unless you get the connection for a PC (which is about $700 CAN, [i heard this somewhere]). Aren't 5GB HDs worth like $25 or less now, since they already have 160GB HDs selling at $300 or something?

BTW, my school switched to PCs last year :) !

well.. in my opinion.. there worth it if your a graphic designer or in similar job.. but as for gaming and so.. its way over priced..

i'm 50/50

Agreed doggie...

I use to be a mac hater for the lack of games and after market accesories...but when i used a G3 and a G4 to do some content cration, it was great...M100 websites and other media editing type things, Mac is the way to go...but Pc still takes the gaming world in my view..

=Drew

macs are being used less and less in the design industry, designers like to be different. thats the only reason they use macs im telling you!! macs cost a bomb, and as Filer rightly pointed out getting software for them is a nightmare, even getting warez for them is a nightmare!!! someone i know bought a mac (guess why? just to be different!!!) they wanted office for mac and cant find it in any stores or even warez, and it looks like its going to be ordered online and cost an absolute fortune too.

**** right i love emule :rolleyes::)

Are Macs really worth the price?

omg macs rule what medication has sedative prescribed u guys! :)

/me goes to macdonalds and orders some more big macs rofl

rofl, eitherway both kinds of macs arent worth it :rolleyes:

And, for graphics designing... Like I said in my post, it all depends on what kinda hardware you have.