Internet Explorer

Riff

more info would help, how much ram you have?

this only happens with IE?

have you got some pop up stopper installed?

it might need an uninstall of IE and reinstall it, its quite painless and quick to do, just a command prompt and then put the windows XP CD in. but before we get to that it might just be something like your RAM or your Page file size...

i expect you have plenty of ram with a P4 system tho...

Welcome to the board Riff :)

I have 256 ram. Version 6 of IE . What is a page file? And how do I change it? And yes I do have a service pack installed. Norton Personal Firewall that stops popups. IE was messing up before I installed Norton and the service pact

Q. What is a page file?

A. paging file

A hidden file on the hard disk that Windows uses to hold parts of programs and data files that do not fit in memory. The paging file and physical memory, or RAM, comprise virtual memory. Windows moves data from the paging file to memory as needed and moves data from memory to the paging file to make room for new data. Paging file is also called a swap file.

Have you deleted all the temporary internet files and cookies stored on your computer?

- In IE 6 click Tools > Internet Options.

- Select the second option "Temporary Internet Files".

- Click two tabs, Delete Cookies and Delete Files.

Hope this helps ... Let us know :)

• 1 month later...

Ok i have edited the registry reinstalled IE6. The problem remains. I did all the find and fix tricks. Is it time to back up everything and do a full system wipe out and reinstall everything.

I can pull up as many windows as i want from the desktop explorer icon. Clicking a link in an open window or if a popup comes up both windows will not respond.

I have no popup software.

Any suggestions now?

Help appreciated.

I have had this problem for months. I also have a pop up stopper (changed versions and deleted it and reinstalled it) and nothing, still locking up, have clered cache, cookies, and history. Still nothing, even reinstalled IE. The only thing I can think of that I changed when I upgraded a new motherboard and CPU (never had this problem till then) is either a new IE update from MS or low ram. I have 256 DDR ram now, before had 516. Confusing! :)

Hmm... I don't have a intel processor and have all the service pack/updates installed and never had any problems... Did you try closing down Norton Personal firewall before and other apps that you don't need, maybe its just a conflict between one of your other programs.

When we put this system together, no problems, anyone think i should wait for a "fix" or go ahead and backup everything, wipe the system and do a full install.

Under the System Info., Internet Explorer sub-catagory "file versions" it reports that files: iecont.dll and iecontlc.dll are missing. Anything to do with it?