XP SP2 from Microsoft vs XP SP2 slipstreamed Nlite

RichTJ99

Hi,

I was curious. I had XP SP1 from Microsoft (in the MS Action Pack kit) & I used Nlite to slipstream SP2 onto my new SP2 CD.

Later I was sent XP Pro SP2 from Microsoft (again part of the Action Pack update) and I was curious, is one better than another, or are they both the same?

The reason I ask is my XP SP1 setup came with 10 CD Keys from Microsoft & my XP SP2 only came with 1 key. I would probably stick with my Nlite slipstream if there is no difference.

I called Microsoft to find out what the story was & they said that they only give one SP2 key. I said if I were a new Action pack subscriber, would they send me 10 SP1 keys & 1 SP2 key & the tech said yes.

So is there any difference in a Nlite slipstream SP2 cd (made from a SP1 cd) vs a Microsoft "official seal" SP2 cd?

Thanks,

Rich

1. The SP1 keys should work fine with SP2 as well, provided that the key is not pirated, and that the SP1 key you're using is for the same channel as the SP2 CD.

2. By itself, a pre-made SP2 CD from MS and your own slip-streamed CD is the same.The difference, would be that the other folders/tools on the MS CD would be updated. You can do that updating yourself, by over-writing the files on your home-made CD with the ones from the SP2 (the free-order CD) disk.

As far as I know, there is a difference:

Abbreviation:

MS Official SP2 CD = MS's

nlite's slipstreamed SP2 CD = nl's

Negative points to MS's

- MS's contains security updates up to SP2. You can make a nl's with the most recent updates (ie SP2 + afterward security fixes)

- With MS's, you have to install their default contents. You can customize with nl's. You can choose which to install, which not (eg no screensaver, no accessibility tools)

- MS's can't do so. But with nl's, you can customize the default installation path of windows and a lot of other default locations. And you can build an unattended windows by nlite. - Afterward, you just need to insert your nl's and it will do all for you. Save a lot of troubles if you do this with MS's

Negative points to nlite

- You may miss the some updated tools, or some updated files (which is not available through Windows update) on MS SP2 CD. Then if you slipstream your CD with SP1 CD, you will miss all that So the solution is to slipstream with SP2 CD.

- The final point is nlite may not do its job well during the slipstream. No one knows if your nl's can work fine. A lot of factors will affect the result. In this regard, MS's is the safest. After all, it is just a minor point.

MS's contains security updates up to SP2.
No
nlite may not do its job well during the slipstream. No one knows if your nl's can work fine.
No, nLite only does what you'd need to manually do. And incidentally, you manually do exactly the same thing that MS does for their pre-made disks. And thousands of people know and trust what nLite can do for them. ;)

The bottom-line, is as said above - that if you start with a plain (non-SP1) CD, and replace the other tools on the CD (with the ones from the SP2 free-order CD) - you have *EXACTLY* what MS is providing.

By free-order CD, I'm referring to the SP2 CD that MS had put up for order on its page, for free delivery across the world. It contains SP2, netfx folder (.NET framework), Support tools, and ValueAdd folder (but the actual windowsXP OS disk you have to have, in order to be able to use it).

So, just merge SP2, and replace the netfx, SUPPORT and VALUEADD folders to have a CD identical to the pre-updated CD sold in retail by MS.

@Wai_Wai

No offense towards you, in any way. I just had to clarify things, to set the facts straight.

Well, I have a SP1 MS XP Pro Cd that came from the "action pack / partner program". Those 10 keys do not work on the SP2 MS XP Pro that also came from the "action pack / partner program".

I have not tried the 1 key from the MS XP SP2 setup on the SP1, but something is a little different here. I know for sure that Microsoft is not sending out pirated software.

Anyway, I am currently running a Nlite SP2 slipstream (onto a SP1 XPCD) right now, but I was just curious if there was an actual difference. Am I better off making a new XP CD from the new XP Pro SP2 cd I have?

Yes, Because since the XPSP1 disc from microsoft has SP1 on it, and then you add the SP2, you are left over with files that do not matter, but are still there anyways. So its best either to take a normal XP CD and slipstream SP2 into it, or just take a normal XPSP2 CD and then do whatever you want to it.

@Wai_Wai

- MS's can't do so. But with nl's, you can customize the default installation path of windows and a lot of other default locations. And you can build an unattended windows by nlite. - Afterward, you just need to insert your nl's and it will do all for you. Save a lot of troubles if you do this with MS's

You do know all that nLite does to change the install path and such is just create a Winnt.sif file right? You do ALSO know that Microsoft has a program to do this as well.

The ONLY difference an nLite CD might have versus as Microsoft one is removed components. the Unattended part can be done with both, using the SAME METHODS.