itunes 4.7 silent install - working solution here

hulala.[uk]

Hey hulala- Just tried this out and its still not letting me change the install location based on setting the PROGRAMFILES variable. Heres the code I used:

set PROGRAMFILES=%systemdrive%\Mutlimedia
start /wait itunes.msi

Still installs to my Program Files directory.

Hey hulala- Just tried this out and its still not letting me change the install location based on setting the PROGRAMFILES variable.  Heres the code I used:

set PROGRAMFILES=%systemdrive%\Mutlimedia
start /wait itunes.msi

Still installs to my Program Files directory.

i just had a thought...its 01:50am here now :) when you are doing set PROGRAMFILES what you are actually setting is user variable and its only valid for your script, system variable is still your real PROGRAMFILES. you see msi installer will look into your system variables. do a simple test run echo %PROGRAMFILES% in cmd(not from within script) and see what it comes back with.

i just had a thought...its 01:50am here now :) when you are doing set PROGRAMFILES what you are actually setting is user variable and its only valid for your script, system variable is still your real PROGRAMFILES. you see msi installer will look into your system variables. do a simple test run echo %PROGRAMFILES% in cmd(not from within script) and see what it comes back with.

Right, but I thought thats what you meant when you said try to set the PROGRAMFILES and install it.. the primary reason I use my vbscript to walk through the install is so that I can install it in an alternate location.... if your msi wasnt intended to do this.. thats fine, I simply misunderstood you. Nice work on fixing the Next thing. Im sure the majority of users who install it to their Program Files directory will find this very useful!

Right, but I thought thats what you meant when you said try to set the PROGRAMFILES and install it.. the primary reason I use my vbscript to walk through the install is so that I can install it in an alternate location.... if your msi wasnt intended to do this.. thats fine, I simply misunderstood you.  Nice work on fixing the Next thing.  Im sure the majority of users who install it to their Program Files directory will find this very useful!

right how about you try this:

msiexec /i itunes.msi PROGRAMFILES=%systemdrive%\Mutlimedia

or may be try hardcoded drive for starters to be sure, then variable.