ANTI SNIFFER

rsd4_u

Hello guys this is my first post on this forum ! Guys i am on a ethernet network and there are lots of computer on this network ,there are some guys who installed sniffers on there computer so that they can get confidencial information from computers on this network, Guys is there any way to protect my computer from these s*** sniffers ,also is there any way to hide my IP ADDRESS from this network so that no one can see my IP on this LAN network maybe this can enhance my security... :(:(

If it's really a sniffer, a software firewall will have zero effect. Keep in mind that a sniffer cannot read your traffic on a switched network unless the Administrators of the network are the ones sniffing. If that is the case, then you must find a way to encrypt your traffic, such as a VPN or Putty or .....

The firewall will limit the possiblity of entry into the system, ie access to files etc.

However like you said if the person is sniffing packets, unless you encrypt them it will be possiable to see the size of information and the possiablity of looking into these packects...

|Drew|

:blink: are ya using a HUB? I've tried sniffin my home network but it didn't work cause we use a router...

so my only suggestion is if your using a hub change to a router (I think a switch may work as well.. someone correct me if i'm wrong)

not sure about encrypting since you may have to have a computer between the hub and internet modem to unencrypt it.. NOT SURE THOUGH.

as for Firewall... firewalls won't do any good.. unless they are actually gaining access to your computer..

Then wat to do :( i got the name of the sniffer they using (Cain & abel).I have no idea how to enter encrpted data on a site which require username and password for access. :( whenever i enter a username and my password the sniffer got it . :(

Why don't you just complain about it to the system admin?

BTW did you agree to this type of treatment? If not they might be breaking the law. So call your lawyer if you did not agree, that is on paper, to this BS.

If that will not help, then just give them a taste of their own medicine. ;)

I personally recommand:

http://www.ethereal.com/

Just use Secure Socket Layers.

Install IIS and use a self signed SSL. And add it to your trusted list.

See:

http://nsa2.www.conxion.com/win2k/guides/w2k-14.pdf

http://docs.rinet.ru/MIIS/ch15.htm#UsingSecureSocketLayers

Though I highly recommand:

http://www.thawte.com/

And see:

https://www.thawte.com/guides/pdf/iis_eng.pdf

Just use a switch - although it sounds like a bit of paranoia, if you're on a business network, check the AUP, it may allow 'them' to sniff the network, failing that, don't do anything naughty....

Cheers,

10forcash

**god bless the UB40, USB, UAE...etc.**

If the people who are doing the 'sniffing' are network admins, they have full access to the network. They are either doing it with the blessing of management, in which case you have no recourse *OR* they are doing it without management sanction, in which case you should be able to get them fired.

If they are *not* network admins who are working within the legitimate parameters of their job (an important requirement), then they should be fired. No question. You need to report this to your management. Sometime the local police are interested in this kind of crap too.

I gotta' tell ya, I'm the networking and security director for a fairly large international corporation. A week does not go by that I don't get network analysis reports showing which of my users (about 11000 of them) may be trying to run seti or setup bittorrent mirrors or kazaa or something like that. We always forward the reports showing time and date to the individual involved and their manager. This usually stops the shennanigans.

As far as 'sniffing' the wire and/or net switches for private end-user data, my guys are very disciplined and ethical about it. Besides that they are too busy to worry about Johnnie or Jane placing a 'net order with Toys R Us. They all understand their position of trust within the company and know full well that they would be instantly fired for any violation of privacy or trust. Instantly fired.

In the case of a user who has a legit, business-related request for some special network handling, we are able to act on it pretty quickly. If there are customer sales/support issues involved, we can turn around a request in minutes pending further review. If this is a 'future plans' thing, there is a standard form that the user fills out which we then act on in days after a security review.

It's questions like this (or 'how do I bypass a firewall') that make me ask the following questions:

- what is the real motivation of the person asking the question?

- what is their position in the organization?

- if this is a legit, business-related request, why can't they ask management for assistance?

Absent decent, business-acceptible answers to the three questions above, I really need to look at threads like this one with some suspicion.