Doom 3 DVD

prathapml

Step 1: Create the following temporary directory:

TempDir : C:\TEMP\DOOM3_DVD

Step 2: Copy the full contents of the original CD#1 to TempDir.

Copy all <CD#2>:\SETUP\DATA\BASE\*.PK4 files to the TempDir\SETUP\DATA\BASE directory.

* Copy all <CD#3>:\SETUP\DATA\BASE\*.PK4 files to the TempDir\SETUP\DATA\BASE directory.

Step 3: Edit the <TempDir >\DOOM 3.MSI file with WinInstall LE and change paths appropriately.

Hex-edit the <TempDir >\SETUP\DATA\DOOM3.EXE file to change paths according to the new file-layout.

Step 4: Burn the contents of TempDir to a DVD-R and using this DVD-Label: DOOM3_DVD

Step 5: Remove/Clear the TempDir.

Step 6:Play the game!

I was just about to ask that

the game would complain about the cd not being in the drive.. or maybe not i dunno, don't remember which type of cd-copy protection it uses.. anyways I DO think that more than 2 cd games deserve a DVD these days.

I've ut2004 and oh my 6 cd's its like back in 90's where we had 100 floppy games..(yea u can put ut2004 in dvd as well and cd protection is removed by atari soft with a patch..)

dvd readers are so cheap thesedays, everyone who is addicted to games should have one, a legit game is around $50, the dvd readers cost less than that.. a dvd writer is $90 thesedays.

doom3 doesn't have dvd version, ut2004 has up to my knowledge.

@alanoll, so u were those lucky bastards :P that got the collectors edition of ut2004 :D, they released a few of them....

@Mac

Indeed. I usually go for the Collector's Editions or DVD editions where possible. Exception being Half-Life 2. I wasn't about to spend $30 more dollars for a DVD, then have it not work, then have to wait a month for a fix, and THEN still need the disc to play after installer, and THEN still not have access to Steam's backlog of games. I'd rather use my free ATI Bundle for steam, and pay $10 for the CS:CZ and HL1:Source and DOD:Source, and buy the CD version of the game since I got the steam version for free. :P Halo 2, that's was $5 more for the collector's edition in the case and extra disc. Can't pass that up....

The reason they dont put alot of games on DVD is because it costs alot more money to produce a DVD than a CD,a nd if your producing a large amount (Millions) your looking at alot more money to put your software/game on a dvd than a cd, so if it were my choice I would use CD's too, unless I got a good deal from a company to put my game/software on a DVD, but in all actuallity, you will never find that 1 DVD is cheaper to produce than 3 or maore CD's is.

ok ok, let me ask u hv u ever seen a stomping machine?

let say for doom 3 u need 3 cds. well on a DVD u need only one.

doom3 = 1.57 GB

I am from the philippines, one of the biggest producer of pirated stuff.

let me tell u the cost to produce dvd vs cd is not significant.

I know people that have 100,000 to 300,000 dollar stomping machines.

do u know how much is a DVD +R 8X, it is only $0.10 wholesale. Almost the

same price as a CD-R.

Hong Kong, Thailand, Taiwan and the Philippines produces so much pirated DVDs.

it is crazy.

A better explanation, is that most people still don't own a DVD reader.

I bet u can get a sweet deal from Shanghai or Beijing or Shenjen to make DVDs for software, movies, games, whatever.

I agree with Astalavista.

the blank dvd's are so cheap these days if u buy them in bulk and of course the game producers have deals with blank media producers. so thats not the problem..

also ut2004 for example 6cd's right that costs more than a dvd. also for 6cd's u need 6cases, for 1dvd u only need 1 and since less cases means smaller box. etc..

so cd's are not cheap in anyways... its not efficient as well..

so basically i think its due to ppl not having dvd readers though that sounds so stupid to me since the dvd readers are so cheap these days.

well let me tell u one other thing. say doom3 & hl2 for example, ppl buy new systems just to play it. if not they buy new graphics cards worth $200+ a dvd reader whereas is about $50. so its very buyable.

if the game producers agree on releasing games on dvd's everyone will switch to dvd's and if the game only requires 1 cd, the dvd readers can still read cd's.

that's my pov

Well then, answer me this than. Why didn't they put Doom 3 on a dvd when it's clearly (By your guys description) cheaper to produce a DVD vs a CD. These publishing companies aren't idiots, so I think they realize that most people want a DVD version, so why dont they make DVD versions than? Especially on these new games where there targeted systems to run their game will almost always have a DVD player on it. Why then?

ChunkDog

As they have both stated i belive they both think that the industry still belives that the end user mostly has CD and CDRW drives rather then DVD drives. Thus if they release it on a DVD only then they would be limiting their audience.

A valid point...however im not sure if its 100pecent true

|Drew|

well okay all this time i was assuming, anyways i went over and did some search and it turns out the dvd+/-R's are still expensive compared with cd's

anyways thinking more about the topic, i think most companies who burn the discs have hardware to burn cd's and they might not want to change it to dvd burners since those things can burn lots of cd's at 1 time. so it might be a costly process.

though i've just disproved myself on the dvd's being cheaper i still want my games on the dvd :D

reference to the prices that i looked at Ritek media from rima.com

well i just hope they'll release games on dvd's more often..