Help with math problem lol Bandwidth Cap Calculato

Synapse

do u want the download to stop after 400mb is dled or slow down the dl speed?

with 150kb/sec u can dl 400kb in 45min approx.

so anything bigger than that u've to wait.. :D

well okay i've written down some stuff, it might be easier to understand.

get amount of time b4 getting capped (in minutes) = cap_time (in our case 2hrs, 2*60=120min)

get amount of data b4 getting capped (in MB) = cap_size (in our case 400mb)

get amount of data u want left b4 u reach the limit = cap_reserve (in our case 100mb)

get file size in MB = size (in our case 2.880.000kb = 2812.5MB = 2.75GB)

get dl speed = dlspeed (in our case 100KB/sec)

size/dlspeed= time_S (time in seconds)

time_S/60 = time_M (time in minutes)

if (time_M > cap_time)

{

time to reach the cap time at max dl speed = (cap_size - cap_reserve) / dl_speed (in our case 400-100=300, 300mb/100kb=3072sec=51.2min = lim_time

time for actual dl time if no limit existed = 2.880.000kb/(100kb/sec) = 28800sec = 480min = 8hrs = max_time

max_time / cap_time = n_loops = number of loops (in our case 8*60 / 52.1 = 9.375loops) or 2.880.000/(300*1024)

cap_time - lim_time = wait time (in our case 120 - 51.2 = 68.8 min)

so dl for 51.2min

wait for 68.6min

after 1 period only 300mb is downloaded

do this for 9.375 times...

so its gonna take n_loops*cap_time = 18.75 hours to dl the file without getting capped :D

hope that makes sense to you :D (and hope its correct though i've tested it :))

@sven If you're talking to me, then please don't bother. If it gets beyond 1+1=something, then it is beyond my capabilities. All I know about graphic calculators is that other people get them to do neat things. :P

even after u reach the limit?

what happens when u go over that limit? do they charge u? if not and if it doesn't slow down, that's not logical, i mean then it doesn't have a cap ???

On my billing page, it says my limit is 10GB total up and down, but they changed their policies about one or two years ago, saying that there was unlimited bandwidth and speed was capped at 3 megabits (depends on how far you are from the main office)...

/declare XtremeMaC the winner

and yea i understand that since you explained everything :D

@sven i got a ti-86 calculator lol but i should be able to make my program with the data that XtremeMaC provided.

but i also think DaLurker is correct, cause even if the file is 20 gigs, if i go right around 70 kbps i'll just narrowly hit my cap every 2 hours.. thats if its all the bandwidth to the download without any downloads of webpages, so i' would still have to lower my speed some more to like 45 Kbps during the day time when my dad and i are net surfinf then up it back to 70 when i'm sleeping..

edit> Don't even know if I have a cap.  I know I have downloaded versions of Linux for multiple CD's and just let the computer go at it.  It will download anywhere from 150kbs to 350kbs until it finishes.  Only limits I have seen are bottlenecks on the internet or the server I am trying to download from.

you probably don't have a cap.. i hit right around 425 Kbps on Comcast when i downloaded Linux before. so it was about 20 minutes per CD (was like 550 megs each CD) and i never hit any caps.. plus i downloaded a couple game demos and was hosting ventrilo and a webserver. so you probably don't have anything to worry about.

@Bi0haZarD  I am dead curious as to what you edited out on the first page of this thread.  Glutton for punishment  :D .  PM me if you want.

lol i knew it would haunt me sooner or later.. but it was the answer to life. what started the universe and if there was life on other planets.... and who really killed JFK.

na, it was "THANK YOU" lol. but after i looked through it i noticed that if i used 8 gigs in the equation it came back with 1,111 Kbps lol. so i removed it so people knew i still needed help ;)

anyways...

THANK YOU EVERYONE!