Changing AGP speed

Tarun

Using EVEREST Home edition (formerly AIDA32) I've noticed the following problem:

Problem Current AGP speed is lower than maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

Field Value

North Bridge Properties

North Bridge AMD-750 Irongate

Memory Timings

CAS Latency (CL) 2T

RAS To CAS Delay (tRCD) 2T

RAS Precharge (tRP) 2T

RAS Active Time (tRAS) 5T

Row Cycle Time (tRC) 8T

Error Correction

ECC Supported, Disabled

ChipKill ECC Not Supported

ECC Scrubbing Not Supported

Memory Slots

DRAM Slot #1 128 MB  (SDRAM)

DRAM Slot #2 128 MB  (SDRAM)

AGP Controller

AGP Version 1.00

AGP Status Enabled

AGP Device MSI G4Ti4600 (MS-8872)

AGP Aperture Size 64 MB

Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x

Current AGP Speed 1x

Fast-Write Not Supported

Side Band Addressing Supported, Enabled

Chipset Manufacturer

Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Product Information http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Develo...252_873,00.html

Driver Download http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...71_2336,00.html

Problems & Suggestions

Problem Current AGP speed is lower than maximum supported. This may cause performance penalty.

This brings me to my two questions.

1. How can I correct the AGP speed issue, making it 2x instead of 1x?
  2. Under Error Correction, do I need ECC enabled; if so, how? (Not really critical, would prefer to solve AGP speed issue)

Using an AMD Athlon 800MHz with Windows ME, 256MB RAM, 60GB HD, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB graphics card.

I've checked under my BIOS to see what all I need to change, however I saw nothing relating.

Field Value

BIOS Properties

BIOS Type AMI

System BIOS Date 12/05/99

Video BIOS Date 07/31/02

BIOS Manufacturer

Company Name American Megatrends Inc.

Product Information http://www.ami.com/amibios

BIOS Upgrades http://www.esupport.com/biosagent/index.cf...fm?refererid=40

Problems & Suggestions

Suggestion Are you looking for a BIOS Upgrade?  Contact eSupport Today!

Suggestion System BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.

Suggestion Video BIOS is more than 2 years old. Update it if necessary.

If more information is needed I can provide.

in your bios. might be in the chipset options not sure, but somewhere in your bios it will ask what mb it is and AGP version

I believe the only thing relating I saw was AGP Aperture Size 64 MB or 256MB, and in fear of messing anything up, I left it alone.

Though now that I think about it, on a GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB card, wouldn't 256MB be 2x? If so, why would it say 64MB when 1x would be 128MB?

Btw, Msfn is faster than AMD Support forums! Huzzah! Not even 19 reads on the post there. Sad. The forum and the post.

Next time I reboot I'll make note of everything in the BIOS to see what I'd need to change.

AGP Apeture size is just allocated RAM, which is used to store graphics onto when the onbaord graphics card memory becomes full.

It should be in your bios somewhere, but I remember someone runing at 4x bus speed, opposed to 8 as they had stability problems with 8, and it didnt effect thier performance much at all.

What is the AGP speed rated on the graphics card itselt? Go to your cards tab in Desktop->right click->properties, and it should say in there. Would image it being at least 2 if not 4x, but if it is 1x then the motherboard might just set itself in sync with that.

Took a screenshot.

Its set as AGP 1x when the motherboard is capable of 2x maximum.

This computer is 4 years old. An AMD Athlon 800MHz, 256MB RAM, 60GB HD, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB graphics card.. Need more info, just tell me.

Thats why then,

The motherboard is capable of 2 x , but the card is running at 1x

but the Ti4600 is a 8x AGP :wacko:

hmm ill investigate further :)

Edit: took a look around my driver screen, cant see how to change the AGP rate there, I know with ATi you can do that as my m8 has.

Edit no2: I remember with my original drivers off my 6800GT's disk, im 90% sure they had an option in them to disable/enable Bus Addressing and also the AGP speed, but dont take my word for it, that was like 5 months ago near enough. Cant see this option in the 66.93 drivers i am using now

I had a VIA KX133 (Soltek SL-77KV) w/ similar problem. Then I installed the Hyperion drivers.

Find out the chipset drivers on AMD's site (sorry but in too much hurry to give you the link). Usually it is a package of four drivers:

1. AGP GART driver.

2. IDE controller driver.

3. USB controller driver.

4. This one I cannot remember :blushing: .

You need the GART driver. Then most probably the 2x mode would switch on by itself. You don't need to tweak things in the BIOS for it. That's because in most branded PCs they think that their users are dumb-asses and don't provide too much settings to the user.

P.S: That's the same with my current mobo. Its an ASUS CUSL-L (out of an HP Pavilion xt860), and I bought it (from a garbage store, that is) considering the CUSL-2 was an outstanding overclocker. But oh my! I can't even see the memory timings.

And OMG! When I emailed HP to give me some BIOS which allows me some more control they replied that "this machine is meant for home users and.....". Tut, tut, tut. Do they think that a home user would be overclocking or a server admin. Anyway I've outsmarted them :thumbup and use CPUFSB to OC my 733/133 to 797/145. Although it goes right up to 843/153 w/o any volt-modding (that I can't do given the **** BIOS) but the biult-in Crystal sound fails at that.

SO much so for those mobo manufacturers thinking that automation is good. It only adds to our problems. Let it auto but also give us control over it.

The EVEREST Home Edition page has an FAQ featuring the question I asked.

FAQ

Q 18: On the Motherboard / Chipset page, the AGP rate is lower than the maximum supported, or even the AGP seems to be completely disabled. How to fix this?

A 18: It can be because motherboard chipset drivers have not yet been installed, or the AGP video card in the system is incapable of AGP texturing (e.g. 3Dfx Voodoo Banshee or Voodoo3). Or it's simply a PCI video card. To solve the driver problem, it is recommended to first install the motherboard chipset driver, and after that to install the driver for the video card.

I downloaded the AMD chipset drivers, though I think I'll try what they said and reinstall my graphics drivers just in case.

I've tried RivaTuner and I honestly didn't like having an extra item in startup. If absolutely necessary I may just use it as a last resort.

Last drivers for my computer:

Windows 95/98/Me

Version: 61.76

Release Date: July 20, 2004