configure all 3 browsers path-independantly

prathapml

Thanks to RyanVM and Yzöwl, finally here's a set of INFs for all 3 major (non-IE) browsers. (Maxthon, Mozilla and Opera) It allows to remember path and put entries in the start menu (like how the normal installer does). You just need to RAR/SFX the installed folder of these browsers, and silently extract them during windows silent install.

You need to put these browsers to respectively mentioned folders:

Maxthon (v1.1.067) at %ProgramFiles%\Maxthon

Opera (v7.60p3) at %ProgramFiles%\Opera75

Firefox (v1.0) at %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla\Firefox

Thunderbird (v0.9) at %ProgramFiles%\Mozilla\Thunderbird

The shortcuts (.lnk) at %AllUsersProfile%\Start Menu\Programs

Then, you can just directly have these INFs run thru batch-files, with this command:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %systemdrive%\install\browsers\FILE_NAME_HERE.inf

These INFs give details to the registry for being able to set them as Browser clients.

Then, in your registry tweaks, you need to choose which of these you want as default browser/mail-client. Example is below:

;Set the Start Menu sticky apps

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\mail]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"

;----  AND now for browser

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet]

@="Opera.exe"
 --OR--
@="Maxthon.exe"
 --OR--
@="firefox.exe"

The intention behind this topic, is to have the desired browser/mail-client set as default in the start menu (top-left section) without having to manually do anything after install.

browser_INF.zip

I like that idea, prathapml!

Then, you can just directly have these INFs run thru batch-files, with this command:
rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %systemdrive%\install\browsers\FILE_NAME_HERE.inf

Accroding to the second RyanVM's post on this page one needs 132 instead of 128 in the code. Also, this code refers to the DefaultInstall section of the inf file, therefore people who wish to install Firefox only via the mozilla.inf should refer to the aformentioned RyanVM's post. Correct me, if I'm wrong, plz.

No the difference between the 128 and 132 is usually small in most cases, but was important in the case as used in the thread you mentioned. Both modes 128 and 132 are there to request that the computer informs you first if it feels it needs to reboot, due to the inf installation. The 128 however is used when the inf is in the same location as the file calling it. As it is recommended that the full path to the inf is given in the rundll... command a 132 would be fine in all these cases. RyanVM was trying to install from the C: drive in the specific case you mention, since the inf location was not the same as the location from where the command originated a 132 was necessary.

If you understand all that garbage it basically means that keeping the inf in the same folder as the batch or cmdlines.txt calling it, you can use a non full path such as .\mozilla.inf and mode 128, if you wanna be safe use Drive:\path\mozilla.inf with a 132 mode. (of course in some batches etc. environment variables may help in the full path).

As to the other question yes the additional commands provided in the original link should possibly have been mentioned.

If you understand all that garbage it basically means that keeping the inf in the same folder as the batch or cmdlines.txt calling it, you can use a non full path such as .\mozilla.inf and mode 128, if you wanna be safe use Drive:\path\mozilla.inf with a 132 mode.  (of course in some batches etc. environment variables may help in the full path).

Thanks for the clarification, Yzöwl!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Updated mozilla.inf for Firefox 1.0+ I was bored and thought I would post it. I know a individual could update this themselves but I just wanted to see an updated version. Trying to help ya out a bit prathapml.. :D Updated again for Gecko Engine version change.

mozilla.inf

Edited by 1chaoticadult

• 4 weeks later...

One thing you guys should know - GeckoVersion and MozVersion are now one in the same. I personally created and submitted the patch which made that a reality. You can see that for yourself now with any current installer build.

OK i just tried the trick on a french version of xp and firefox/thunderbird.

The icons are correctly put at the top of the start menu, HOWEVER, firefox is still not the default brower !! When i launch it, it still asks me if firefox should be the default browser :} Same with thunder.

I use a SFX archive (Setup=setup.exe -ira) with the setup.exe from mozilla, for firefox and thunderbird. Default install.

Here is my .reg + runonceex

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

;Set the Start Menu sticky apps

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\mail]
@="Mozilla Thunderbird"

;----  AND now for browser

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet]
@="firefox.exe"

RUNONCE :

/..../

REG ADD %KEY%\020 /VE /D "Firefox" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\020 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\firefox\firefox_1.0.exe" /f

REG ADD %KEY%\025 /VE /D  "Thunderbird" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 1 /D "%systemdrive%\install\thunderbird\thunderbird.exe" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 2 /D "rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %systemdrive%\install\firefox\mozilla.inf" /f
REG ADD %KEY%\025 /V 3 /D "REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\firefox\firefox.reg" /f

/.../

Any idea ? :blushing:

thx a lot

• 2 weeks later...

@hfrfc

The INF will only set the browser to be default browser sticky. After that, you need to associate file-types if your default is not IE, which is what firefox does when it asks you if it should be default browser.

hi. I was wondering If I could get a little help. Installing the inf isn't working correctly. I'm talking about this:

rundll32 setupapi,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 128 %systemdrive%\install\firefox\mozilla.inf

I get install error. I tried switching the 128 to 132 with no luck. If I right click the mozilla inf and choose install, it works fine, it puts the firefox and thunderbird on the start menu perfectly. Anyone think of a reason? I followed prathapml's guide perfectly. Windows XP SP2 i'm using.