nod32 vs. kaspersky per. pro.

r u sure its not a false positive? :P

meaning r u 100% sure its a legit virus? & do u have nod32 configured with advanced heuristics & all other options it has? cuz it should have found it if it is a true virus :)

NOD32 detection rate isn't very good. Check the spyware.info tests, it's around 80%. Kaspersky has the highest detection rate of them all, followed by McAfee. There's nothing surprising here at all. MANY MANY times I've ran kaspersky on systems that had NAV, NOD32, AVG, (...) before and most of the time it's found more stuff. Happens all the time, and no, not a single false positive before. (kaspersky is also one of the best when it comes to defs updates) NOD32 settings or not, it just seems to cut corners a LOT.

NOD32 detection rate isn't very good. Check the spyware.info tests, it's around 80%. Kaspersky has the highest detection rate of them all, followed by McAfee. There's nothing surprising here at all. MANY MANY times I've ran kaspersky on systems that had NAV, NOD32, AVG, (...) before and most of the time it's found more stuff. Happens all the time, and no, not a single false positive before. (kaspersky is also one of the best when it comes to defs updates) NOD32 settings or not, it just seems to cut corners a LOT.

Have a look here...

Virus Bulletin - Eset NOD32

With a standing like that (and having never failed an "in-the-wild" test. It's got the best track record at the VB site, and probably uses the least resources out there of any AV program.

When my friend doubted me on NOD32's abilities, I told him to send me every single file that he had ever found that was infected with a virus (we found about 200 various "cracks" from Kazaa) that related to about 30-35 different viruses (or variants). We put these "cracks" on a CD and put the CD into our computers. NOD32 picked up the files the moment that Windows detected there was a CD and quarantined the files on the spot. BitDefender, on the other hand, needed to have the files copied (or at least tried to copy) onto his hard drive before it would pick them up.

P.S. What were the viruses found on this system? Was it running the latest version of NOD32? V2.12? Was the computer online when you uninstalled NOD32 and put Kaspersky on? It only takes a split second for your computer to become infected, and it could have been the time while you didn't have kaspersky on your system. (I've had that happen once, and never again... always unplug from now on)

P.P.S @Schadenfroh There is no way on this green earth that BitDefender only uses 3.06 MB of RAM while running... I've tried it out, and the numbers are well above 20.

There are much better and much more "overall" testing than this site. This site tests an AV for a specific month on a different platform. (a month they pick XP, a month they pick 2003, a month they pick netware, redhat, NT 4... And there are far more than just 100 "wild" viruses a good AV should be tested for reliably). Every other comparison I've seen put Kaspersky at the top of the list, and usually NOD32 is a few positions behind.

Other test sites don't show NOD32 as anywhere near this good. Like, look at Schadenfroh's link. If you believe it can reliably scan 28.6GB of data in 3m13s (that's a scan rate of over 150mb/sec - more than your HD can do)... It has to cut corners, and it can't possibly even have peeked inside archives. I don't trust it. Also, detection rates for kaspersky aren't just good (or the best) for most win32 style viruses, but it's also the best in all other categories (dialers, worms, backdoors, trojans, and other scum) and I see a *LOT* of that all the time, and that's part of where kaspersky shines too.

I'm not saying it's a bad product (hey, anything's better than norton stuff ;) ) but I can't quite see it as being better than kaspersky.

If you believe it can reliably scan 28.6GB of data in 3m13s (that's a scan rate of over 150mb/sec - more than your HD can do)... It has to cut corners, and it can't possibly even have peeked inside archives.

The problem with this view on things is that with certain AV programs, they do check redundant things... are you ever going to find a virus in a 40 meg wav file?

Also... you hard drive can scan at over 150 MB/s... it just can't read/write at 150 MB/s. To give you an example, when I analyze my HD with PerfectDisk 7.0, it takes about 10 secs to analyze a drive with 8GB on it... that's 800MB/s.

Also... VB doesn't use an already made virus to do their testing... they create a completely new one. This basically tests the heuristics of the AV program, which is why you see many lower end programs fail.

Well... I guess that we could throw this ball back and forth 20 times more... I use NOD32 because I like it, and everything that I've come up against it's caught. B)

If others find that Kaspersky works better, then great, keep using it. :D

Whatever works... that's my motto... I know some of my classmates have written 2000 word essays in Wordpad... :P

P.P.S @Schadenfroh There is no way on this green earth that BitDefender only uses 3.06 MB of RAM while running... I've tried it out, and the numbers are well above 20.

i agree with you

it is the free version, if you look, you are looking at the wrong number, i have it listed has taking up 24.444MB of ram, see the picture of proccess

Link To Proccess viewer

I'm wondering one more thing about that test... there's no mention of real-time scanning capabilities. Did you ever notice any general system slowdown while running any of the specified programs?

When I used to have Snortin Norton on my desktop, I'd always see this annoying little window pop up by the system tray telling me that NAV was scanning some file. Did you ever experience any of this when you created a new file/downloaded something/etc?

no slowdowns, as i discovered later, bit defender free edition did not even have real time protection, btw.

but as to what you are saying, many automatically scheduled scans and informs you of when it auto updates, so if you are in a game, you are gonna get annoyed.

Symantec, Panda, Mcafee and a good portion of others did this, but you can disable it in their options.

I have registered both Kaspersky and NOD32. They are both good. Personally, I think NOD32 has less of a hit on resources and performance. Kaspersky allows the user to download virus defs that include spyware, etc, etc. NOD32 just has a straight virus defs download.

Since you didn't mention real specifics not much judgement can be made on this, IMO.

rotjong

• 1 year later...