Setup is restarting....

subaqua2004

I can't find any precise info about the problem I'm having.

I've built an unattended install (originally coming off a Ghost image, but now

working using WinPE).

I've got drivers in $OEM$\$1\Drivers :o

and I've added them to the OemPnPDriversPath.

Setup appears to work fine, but when it gets to installing the network (T-30),

setup appears to exit (goes back to a plain blue screen), then the PC reboots

and when it comes back up I get "Setup is restarting...." and the whole process

starts again (from T-39).

The weird thing is, it doesn't do it /every/ time (perhaps 8/10 times). I've used

various different hardware, including VirtualPC and the same thing happens.

When I comment out the drivers path, it goes through 100% no problems (but no drivers either!)

Any clues?

for me it sounds like a problem with your network added drivers, you can first, be sure to have the latest drivers for your hardware. second, be sure that you have properly configured your network on winnt.sif. finally to locate the problem you can start removing drivers until the problem fixes so you know what caused it.

I HAVE FOUND THE BUG!

The problem is in txtsetup.sif. If you notice there is a "end" character at the end of txtsetup.sif (before modification). Then after running the driverpack script it adds the entries at the really end of the file, this way not leaving the "end" character at the end of the file.

SOLUTION:

Just cut and paste the character to the end of the file.

I HAVE FOUND THE BUG!

The problem is in txtsetup.sif. If you notice there is a "end" character at the end of txtsetup.sif (before modification). Then after running the driverpack script it adds the entries at the really end of the file, this way not leaving the "end" character at the end of the file.

SOLUTION:

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm afraid you weren't the one to see this as the first one...

This character is known as the :EOF character and indeed marks the end of the txtsetup.sif file. The strange thing about all this is: there hasn't been any trouble with this for months, untill now... RyanVM didn't add this character at the end of the txtsetup.sif file and he never had any troubles with this. It must be something of SP2 or something... And not everybody is getting this error, which makes this bug even stranger...

But, you are right, that when you get errors, you might want to cut/paste it to the end of the txtsetup.sif file!

Try replacing, in your presetup.cmd this:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing" /v Policy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 
reg add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing" /v BehaviorOnFailedVerify /t REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing" /v Policy /t REG_BINARY /d 01

by this:

reg add "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing" /v Policy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Driver Signing" /v BehaviorOnFailedVerify /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Driver Signing" /v Policy /t REG_BINARY /d 01 /f

Worked for me, and I had the same symptoms.

Can anybody type the :EOF character?

I mean, what does it look like? I don't think I've ever seen anything like that, not in notepad anyway. Is it the square shape that was used in prehistoric computing times?

I've noticed some anomalies with the EOF character. It would appear, in my case anyway, the it is required to have at least one CR before and at least one CR after.

Also when I make changes to my ISO and then save the ISO, something happens to that file everytime. I have to go back and insert the txtfiles.sif again, overwriting the one in the ISO, then save, then I'm all set. I don't know if this is some kind of bug in UltraISO or not. But its all rather annoying.

Also when I make changes to my ISO and then save the ISO, something happens to that file everytime.  I have to go back and insert the txtfiles.sif again, overwriting the one in the ISO, then save, then I'm all set.  I don't know if this is some kind of bug in UltraISO or not.  But its all rather annoying.

Why don't you use CDimage to create the image? OK, it rebuilds the ISO every time, but who cares, it only takes about one minute...

I HAVE FOUND THE BUG!

SOLUTION:

Umm...nope. :angry: The EOF character appears to be there.

I did recreate the i386 directory from my original XP CD and that worked...for a time. Now its back to how it was before. I'm going to try Pyron's method.

I'll report back later...

Subaqua :unsure:

Pyron's method didn't change the result (as I suspected). However, it is pretty cool, so I'll stick with it.

Strangely, removing cmdlines.txt seems to let it run through...but the only thing I've got in there is a call to RunOnceEx.cmd!?!?!