Windows 2000 SP5

BigDaddy

As far as i know SP4 will be the last SP

They still will have Hotfixes, however they will be pushing Win2k3 so 2000 is gonna be slowly disloving in the next few years.

|Drew|

Crap! Is there any way to get all of POST SP4 fixes to a CD so I could install them on my friends computer? He can't install them himself thru Windows Update cos he's still on DIAL UP:((

You can download all the patches to a central directory, ie: c:\temp. I normally rename them to a shorter name as listed below for the sake of simplicity.

Next, you can download qchain.exe from Microsoft's website. Copy or move it to the same directory as the patches.

Create a batch file using the below listed syntax and then burn off to CD. When complete all you will need to do is to put the cd in the cd-rom drive and run the batch file you created.

Example:

@echo off

setlocal

set PATHTOFIXES=.\

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB823182.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB823559.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB824105.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB825119.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB826232.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB828035.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB830352.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB837001.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB839643.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB839645.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB840315.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB841872.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB841873.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB842526.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB824146.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB828028.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB828741.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB828749.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\KB835732.EXE /Z /M

%PATHTOFIXES%\QCHAIN.EXE

ECHO "Installation Complete"

EXIT

Note: This list does includes most all of the patches released after service pack 4 was released but it is NOT a complete listing. I created this update CD in August of 2004. Any patches released since then are not included if that helps any.

Good luck....

tguy

my own list

http://www.vorck.com/wu.html

you'll have to paste some of the numbers because some links are not active. the page is based on creating a win2k cd using my files that installs without:

Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Internet Information Server, Internet Information Server Debugger, Imageviewer, MS FrontPage, Fax, Indexing Service, all games, Windows Scripting Host, COM, Distributed Transaction Coordinator, Web-Based Enterprise Management, Internet Connection Wizard, Task Scheduler, ActiveMovie for IE, MS Fake Java for IE, Windows Address Book, NetMeeting, Media Player 2.0 (the Codecs WILL STILL be installed, though), Application Compatability, Remote Storage Recall Notification, Windows Automatic Updates (use Daisy), and Color Profile.

AFAIK it is comprehensive.

(i have created a win2k cd that has post sp4 hotfixes in it already and uses one central INF file for ALL of the reg entries, but it is tailored for my IE-free win2k. anyway, i just add that to tell you that if you hack the right DLL files, you can replace the files in i386 with the hotfixed ones after extracting them and it will work.)

FDV, keeper of the remove IE from win2k project

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...