Office 2003 Unattended = no Web Update

Well I was patting myself on the back for solving my problem for a few hours... until I discovered that it doesn't work actually.

I am using an Office 2003 SP1 Unattended (MST file) Installation CD-ROM using the Custom Installation Wizard and this process is blocking the end user to do Office Update on the Web. But I want our end user to be able to update their installation.

This is what you get on the Microsoft Update Site

2k3.gif

II tought this option would do the trick... but it doesn't

2k3mst.gif

Does someone know how to solve this?

Thanks!

Had the same problem. Slipstreaming the service pack is creating an admin install point with office. I silently install office and then silently install sp1 and any updates. I use the inf method.

HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\01Office",,,"Microsoft Office 2003 Pro"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\01Office",1,,"%30%\install\Office2003\PRO11.MSI TRANSFORMS=Office.MST /qb-"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\02Office",,,"Office 2003 Frontpage"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\02Office",1,,"%30%\install\Office2003\FP11.MSI TRANSFORMS=FP.MST /qb-"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\03Office",,,"Office 2003 Onenote"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\03Office",1,,"%30%\install\Office2003\ONOTE11.MSI TRANSFORMS=ONENOTE.MST /qb-"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\04Office",,,"Office 2003 Updates"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\04Office",1,,"msiexec /q /p %30%\install\OfficeSP1\MAINSP1ff.msp"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\04Office",2,,"msiexec /q /p %30%\install\OfficeSP1\OWC11SP1ff.msp"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\04Office",3,,"msiexec /q /p %30%\install\OfficeSP1\OWC102003SP1ff.msp"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\04Office",4,,"msiexec /q /p %30%\install\OfficeSP1\ONENOTESP1ff.msp"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\04Office",5,,"msiexec /q /p %30%\install\OfficeUpdate\gdiplus-FullFile-GLB.msp"
HKLM,"%RunOnceEx%\04Office",6,,"msiexec /q /p %30%\install\OfficeUpdate\MSCONVff.msp"

****! I knew it was the Service Pack! :o

Your solution seems fine for a Windows Unattended Installation (on DVD!) but i'd like to keep my office 2003 CD-ROM appart... ;)

Do you have any idea how to do it with the Office 2003 CD-ROM? Maybe it is possible to silently install the service pack + update with the Custom Installation Wizard at Step 16 but I don't know how to do it...

step16.gif

Any suggestions?

On the o2k3 resource kit website there is an article on how to set this, and it is a registry key.

So on that basis, if you reverse this setting, you will be able to use the office update.

Go here, read and may resolve issue without to much hacking about

http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/2003/journ/blockOU.htm

Hope that helps.

o you have any idea how to do it with the Office 2003 CD-ROM? Maybe it is possible to silently install the service pack + update with the Custom Installation Wizard at Step 16 but I don't know how to do it...

Beats me. I've never tried to do it that way. At work, we still don't deploy office via the network, so I created a cmd file that basically did the same thing as my inf. Some of the past posts for Office may be some help.

thanks for the link but I've already took a look at this article. The problem is that this registry key is non-existent on our computers... :(

Back to my idea of Step 16, if I take a look at the SP1 switch this is what I get:

switches.gif

but i'm not to familiar with this and since it is running on a CD-ROM I don't know how to proceed... (extraction path, etc.)

Ok, I did a first test starting with my original CD of Office 2003 and creating a MST answer file; nothing more.

It works fine, so it is the Admin Installation Point (that allow us to slipstream) that is causing our problems... :thumbdown

In my next step, I'll try to install the SP1 silently at step 16.

Any suggestions for the syntax I should use to make it so?

You COULD use Office update, to see what fixes are avaible or neccesary. Then go to their individual KB article, and download the ADMIN INSTALL of it, then slipstream THAT into the Office install as well.

You're trying to download the CLIENT install, when you need the ADMIN install.

Well, according to MFSN, you cannot slipstream updates without creating first an Administration Install Point

First, we'll need to create an Administrative Installation Point so we can be able to slipstream the updates into Office 2003 (You cannot just do a direct copy from CD to the Hard disk and hope that it will work. It won't.). This only has to be done once, and updates can still be slipstreamed to an existing Administrative Installation Point at a later date.

So I don't think I can slipstream the updates directly into my copied files from the CD...