UNattended Utilities install

Hey folks,

I'm a complete newb to this site so I might be posting in a completely wrong area. I tried to find one that I thought was appropriate.

I'm TRYING to figure out how to create an unattended install from CD of my common utilities that I use (I.E. Ad-aware, spybot, etc.)

I frequently run preventative maintenance on systems and regularly have to install 5 or 6 apps and create a folder for them in the startup menu as well as moving shortcuts there, etc.

It would be VERY useful to have this process automated. Someone truned me on to this site and...

the rest, as they say, is history. :-)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I poste dthis to another area that apprently was the wrong area. Someone told me it was the wrong area but didnt' really tell me where to try an dpost it. Forgive me if this is again the wrong spot.

That's where I started and it all was addressing unattended installs of XP. I didn't find anything on unattended installs of just applications. THAT's what I'm needing help finding.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Joe

The concept of unattended installation of applications and utilities is taking advantage of the enviroment offered during Windows initial installation. I don't know if what you want is possible without scripting and other third party programs (to include special designed C++ programs).

This section of the forums is for the installation of Windows and all the variations there of. Perhaps in the Wndows or Programmers section you might find some help.

It's very easy... You can either use AutoRun (autorun.inf) or double click manually on a .cmd file that will contain all the commands to insall your apps (just like you would do it at GUIRunOnce). It's hardly different than installing them after installing windows.

Ok. This sounds great. So it IS possible. But I know nothing about it. I know what .cmd extension are an autorun.inf files for a CD type app, but beyond them am an id*** to this. Could you give me an example of installing ad-aware for instance that way? If I can see the command line info for one, I think I could figure out all the rest.

Also, these apps all have ?'s that pop up during the install so I am guessing that the terminology woul dbe a "silent install" using "switches."

Thanks so much for your help and time.

Joe

For starters here is a list of silent installs

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=12657

Searching through it you will find the silent install of ad-aware. Modified below is the filename of your choice with the content that will silently install with a double click of that .bat or .cmd

@ECHO OFF

TITLE Ad-Aware Silent Install

ECHO Installing Lavasoft Ad-Aware 6 Build 181

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\install\Applications\Adware\aaw6.exe /silent

EXIT

if you wish to know more about COMMAND PROMT commands go

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?act=ST&f=70&t=10253

http://aumha.org/a/batches.htm

hope this helps a bit.

If you are trying to do silent install try using USSF or search the Application Switches fourm. Another good source is www.appdeploy.com.

Here are two batchfiles I use to do silent installs of two application and move shortcuts to where I want them. There are other ways of moving the shortcuts such as creating a custom mst file for msi application such as Office but this method is simple and should work for most applications as all you are doing is moving the shortcuts where you want them.

@echo off

pushd "%~dp0"

tugzip31.exe /VERYSILENT

if Errorlevel 1 goto EOF:

popd

rem create path if it doesn't exist

md "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\System\Archivers" 2> nul:

if exist "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\TUGZip" (

move "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\TUGZip" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\System\Archivers\"

)

@echo off

pushd "%~dp0"

ccsetup114.exe /S

popd

rem create path if it doesn't exist

md "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\New Folder\Clean" 2> nul:

rem delete existing shortcut

if exist "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\New Folder\Clean\CCleaner.lnk" del /f /q "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\New Folder\Clean\CCleaner.lnk"

rem move new link to folder

if exist "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CCleaner.lnk" move "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\CCleaner.lnk" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Desktop\New Folder\Clean"

if exist "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner" (

md "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\System\Clean\HD" 2> nul:

if exist "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\System\Clean\HD\CCleaner" rmdir /q /s "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\System\Clean\HD\CCleaner"

copy /y "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner\CCleaner.lnk" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\System\Clean\HD"

move "%USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner" "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\System\Clean\HD"

)

Wow. Thanks. A wealth of info. I'm finally starting to get around the site better. "Searching" is of th essence for finding what I need I've discovered.

Thanks so much for your help.

I'm having trouble entereing a registry key for registration info on Tuneup utilities 2004. You have any thoughts there?

Thanks again.

Thanks SOOOO much for the great info. I've made a TON of progress today on this nad just have some oddities that I can't get past.

Registrering Tuneup Utilities 2004. I finally got the registry keys correct to register the program but I can't find a switch for the "Are you sure you want to add this information into the registry" prompt.

How do I enter the registry information without a prompt?

Again thanks so much for all your help and info.

Hey, I've made lots of progress on my script. Thanks for the direction there. Below is what I have so far but I have a question. When the script gets to the part to enter the registration information into the registry it prompts me with a question asking "Are you sure want to add this information..." I have been unable to get past that little prompt. Can you help?

Here's the script so far. This is my applications part:

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Ad-Aware SE Personal 1.05

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\aawsepersonal.exe /SILENT

ECHO.

ECHO Installing ERUNT 1.1

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\erunt-setup.exe /silent

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Google Toolbar

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\GoogleToolbarInstaller.exe /s /qn

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Spybot SD 1.3

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\spybotsd13.exe /VERYSILENT /NOCANCEL /TASKBARHIDE /AUTOCLOSE

ECHO.

ECHO Installing Tuneup Utilities 2004

ECHO Please wait...

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\TU2004.exe /QN

ECHO Registering Tuneup Utilities 2004

start /wait %systemdrive%\TCGDiagnosticsApps\registry.reg /s

The file registry.reg looks like this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TuneUp\Utilities\4.0]

"InstallPath"="C:\\Program Files\\TuneUp Utilities 2004\\"

"Company"="Texas Computer Guys, Inc."

"UserName"="Joseph Orsak"

"UseCounter"=dword:00000001

"RegCode"="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TuneUp\Utilities\4.0\WelcomeScreen]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TuneUp\Utilities\4.0]

"InstallPath"="C:\\Program Files\\TuneUp Utilities 2004\\"

"Company"="Texas Computer Guys, Inc."

"UserName"="Joseph Orsak"

"UseCounter"=dword:00000003

"RegCode"="xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TuneUp\Utilities\4.0\WelcomeScreen]

When it gets to the registry.reg part is asks me if I want to add that to the registry. I have to click on yes for it to go and I can't seem to get past that. What am I doing wrong?