Cant watch movies anymore!

MechWarrior

Hey all.

I recently just did the upgrade to SP2 and installed the newest ATi drivers and catalyst control center. I also upgraded to WMP10 and the newest xvid and dvix codecs. I cant watch my movies anymore. It only happened after I upgraded to SP2. I have tried all the options but cant find anything wrong.

I can hear audio, WMP plays the movie, it just shows plain pitch black. Nothing. It acts like its perfectly fine.

Anyone have any help? Im using the latest updates for everything on a Radeon 9700pro

There is an issue with one of the newer XviD codec that causes things like that, it varies from system to system I think they fixed it in the latest release, there is a change you can make to registry that is supposed to help, I came across it when my xivds started playing upside down :)

Well, right now you don't know exactly what's to blame. The drivers, the overlay, the codecs, ... You somehow have to narrow it down.

-I've had overlay problems before, and I had to re-set which one was my primary display. Never know...

-Codec wise, you'd have to make sure (with an app like gspot) that your system has the right codecs installed. For playback, ffdshow will take care of most mpeg4 video formats. There could also be some problems with your codec entries. Sometimes a blank line gets somehow added to them, then the system stop checking for other codecs as it reached it. There is a utility to fix that. Could be that as well...

-Could be just buggy drivers... Seen that too...

If everything else fails, don't bother spending countless hours fixing what can be reinstalled in minutes :)

ffdshow is installed and gspot reports no rendering problems at all.

I only have my one main monitor setup for anything, how can I change my overlay? WMP10 has no overlay settings I can find.

I tried Media Player Classic too.. same issue.

you can watch divx, mpeg and avi also with powerdvd and windvd.

i'm almost sure they will work. just try them ;)

powerdvd is just another typical directshow player bundled with a mpeg2 decoder of their own. It'll play other contents if and only if you have the proper codecs installed. There's no way around that one (and those other issues I mentionned earlier can make those issues happen to it just like any other player).

• 2 weeks later...
There could also be some problems with your codec entries. Sometimes a blank line gets somehow added to them, then the system stop checking for other codecs as it reached it. There is a utility to fix that.

what is this program? EDIT: dont worry... bigfix solved the problem. thanks all

I'm have a semi-related problem. Before I installed SP2 I could play all my DVD's in PowerDVD 4.0 which is my preferred player. After installation of SP2 I can no longer play older DVD's such as the theatrical release of Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. However, I can play the extended edition which came out about a year later.

So I uninstalled PowerDVD and then reinstalled it. I can play the newer DVD's but still cannot get the old ones to play. I get nothing but a black screen.

I have:

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 card

AC3 Filter

PowerDVD 4.0

Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T

DVDRW IDE1004

WindowsXP SP2

Intel Pentium 4 2.40HGz

Any suggestions?

Thank you.