The best UPS

prathapml

Hey, what is the preferred brand, when you buy a UPS? (un-interruptible Power Supply)

Where I live, APC is the one with the best name - and most people who can afford its premium prices go for it.

What about you? Which brand do you own/plan-to-get ?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Belkin Universal 800 which is under the requirements of what I have hooked to it, but it's never missed a beat when my powers gone out. I have used my PC before while it was on the battery for almost an hour before the power returned and it started recharging again. When I looked at the guage for it in my tray it said I had about 10 mins of power left before it would have shut down Windows on me. I have heard and read some differing opinions in the past about the APC's but for the money you cant really beat the Belkins. I gave only $50 for mine, though I wish I had spent the extra $50 and got the 1000W, the 800W is doing fine as it is. When the power went out that I mentioned above I unplugged everything but the PC and monitor from it to have enough power to push them otherwise it would have run out much sooner. They say when buying a UPS you want at least one with 2x the amount of power that your pc's power supply is rated at. So if your power supply is rated at 500W you will want at least a 1000W rated UPS. Though the best way to figure it out is to determine what the wattage is for everything that will be connected to it to determine which to get. It should be able to maintain that wattage at least 30 minutes. Mine being rated at 800W for 30 minutes was more than sufficient to keep right on recording the movie I was watching on my AIW 9000 Pro while the power went out during a storm. Of course results will vary, but I am highly pleased with mine, just wish I had one for each of my systems. I use APC power strips for the other three computers I have, and an APC power protector for my laptop as well.

Though I have no preferences one way or another as far as UPS's go, I would recommend if you don't have one to at least minimally get an excellent power strip, such as the ones from APC, don't skimp on them as I have had three systems go poof like puff the majic dragon when they have recieved spikes through lesser power strips. Having to replace a $2000 system is never any fun especially when a $50 device could have kept you from it. (Yes I did catch the belkin's on sale at that price, I wish I had the money to had gotten three of them at the time, instead of only one.) I can't remember anymore who I previously used their strips but they didn't even honor my $2000 claim when I filed them against their stupid strips, even though they supposedly had a $100,000 US warranty, so it was all out of my pocket, I finally went with APC and haven't had any more problems since.

I think that APC is the best UPS..

Unfortunatelly I have bought an MGE UPS and have strange problems which apparently noone can solve...

I wrote a post at hardware section at this link so if anyone have any idea how to solve this please let me know...

Hardware post

Depending of what you are about to use the UPS for ( Long Life Battery w/o Power or Just protection from power surdge)... If you are going to use it for Long Life w/o battery look for a cheap one SMART UPS with higher VA. 1500+ this will ensure you long work w/o power deppending of the devices attached to the system (monitor probably) and the powersupply utit of you PC. The last UPS i bought for a business server in one office was APC Smart UPS 750VA and it was going w/o power attached 90 minutes. The power supply of the PC is 400W and there was a 17" Monitor attached on it.

As for the brand APC are the best for home and office use. They offer very good protection and quality at a descent price. Well if you want something for a Server there the things are very different.

I can also provide you with some info how to MOD your 750VA UPS to a UPS that can last w/o power for 24+ h without problem :)

Best of luck!