Password for Local Area Network?

jada855

Hello all I was wondering if there was a way to make all of your user's in your Local Area Network log in with a password everytime to join the network and use internet access and file sharing etc. All machines are using windows xp home sp2

And is there any software (hopefully free ware) so that I could see which users are logged on. thanx for any advice help

:)

Hi Dear,

I think its not easy to build that through a Third Parety Programs !! so ,one easy way to do that through installing a domains in your LAN &join all your user in that domain.

if you want more details in how to install &prepare your users for that feel free to ask !

And is there any software (hopefully free ware) so that I could see which users are logged on.
Take a look at RealVNC & VNCcon:

http://www.realvnc.com/ - RealVNC - Freeware

http://vncon.chronetal.co.uk/index.php?page=main - VNcon - Freeware (notice the SP2 aspect tho)

Domain is not possible engraed96 as jada855 states that:

All machines are using windows xp home sp2

You cannot log on to a domain using XP Home....

(unless I missed something somewhere hehe)

Regards,

N.

@it_ybd

I thought VNC just allows remote control between different types of computer pretty much like WinXP's build-in remote desktop(Terminal Service Lite)?

@jada855

You can force the user to logon for internet access in your network by installing a proxy like squid (free), winroute,winproxy etc. Enable logging and all URLs visited by your client will be logged.

@chrno2004:

Whoops...I forgot to mention that, well, you can use the VNcon program to view a list of all the computers on the network and also see who's logged on (tho the see who's logged on part may only work on a domain).

knight_dkn covered it really by saying the best solution would be to use a server, then you could see the list of users etc on that.

The snag that if jada855 went down this route, in order to have his client machines connect/logon to the server, he'd have to upgrade them all to XP Professional (the most substantial difference between Home & Pro is this difference)

Either way, I hope it helps :)

Regards,

N.